Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What will they come up with next!?
- - By TimGary (****) Date 09-07-2004 12:25
Article copied from the AWS "Welding Journal", 9/2004

"Doctors Prove They Can Weld Human Tissue

A process developed by the E. O. Paton Institute of Electric Welding in Ukraine has been utilized in clinical trials of 71 medical patients in that country who have suffered from lung and other diseases. The process uses low heat from radio-frequency energy to reconnect and bond tissue after incisions, without sutures or staples. The welding process left little or no scaring and reduced postoperative hospital stays, the doctors reported."

Man, I bet it would be tough to get qualified in that process, I mean not so much the actual welding, but getting someone to hold still long enough for you to finish the test weld, cut coupons and pull a tensile!

Tim :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-07-2004 13:45
"...getting someone to hold still long enough for you to finish the test weld, cut coupons and pull a tensile!"

OUCH! :)

John Wright
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-07-2004 23:33
I had to chime in on this one because as some of you know, I had a liver transplant almost seven years ago which required over 100 staples to close up the incisions, and one or two popped out while they were still in me!!! It sure would've been nice to have had them welded instead at least from a cosmetic perspective...

The plastic surgeons are probably salivating over this potential new business coming their way - wait a minute! Maybe those of us who already know how to weld metals could become proficient enough with this process on tissues of the human anatomy and demand the compensation that usually is reserved for surgeons then - maybe not!

After all, we would have to go back to school again to become a medical doctor, go through residency and all that is required in becoming a full fledged practicing medical doctor before we could even learn how to perform this procedure... Not to leave out the importance of knowing welding "Tissuelurgy" much like welding Metallurgy because like different metals, not all tissue is the same or is to be welded the same way :)

About two years after my surgery, I read an article in "Scientific American" that this had already been successfully done in the NIH research labs so, this news does'nt surprise me at all...

Do'nt get me wrong though, I think it's GREAT that the AWS is making this known to all of us and no offense to the E.O. Paton Institute's own efforts to advance this even further!!!

Now if they need "Guniea Pigs" to push this type of biotechnology further, I'll volunteer!!! Maybe they can cosmetically repair the awful looking scars I have on my abdomen so that I could go swimming without a tee shirt on and, not scare anyone in the water or when I get out of the water...
Yep, I think it would be worth the pain!!!

Btw, they would probably give you a local anasthetic before they remove a layer or two of your skin or even just scrape some of it off your skin, grow it so that they have enough tissue to perform test welds, cut coupons, pull a tensile, you get the idea... The pain will come later (:>)

The only problems that they would have at first is with tissue coming from other organs (the largest organ of your body is your skin) because, some organs do not grow that well outside of the living body, eg; Brain, pancreas, large & small instestines to name a few... Even nerve or muscle tissue would initially pose a problem at first but, I'm sure they'll find a way to get around the present limitations eventually.

I personally have around 6 feet of scars on my body, face and head that could use some repair welding on them for cosmetic purposes so, this news is very encouraging to say the least - then again, I could always grow my hair longer which would leave only five feet to repair!
Anywho, I apologize for rambling too much on this.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep but, not too DEEP!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What will they come up with next!?