Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe 6G Help!
- - By Jacob Reverb Date 04-23-2015 18:51
Hey, all,

I took a basic welding course in the community college but I'm not in it anymore.

At home I want to try practicing a 6G weld (with tig root and tig fill) on some scrap 3" pipe.

Are there any pipe welders out there who could tell me what would be common, or typical, parameters to use on a piece of 3" pipe with a wall thickness of .208" in a 6G test? (I've never really taken any welding tests.)

For example, what bevel angle?
How big of a land?
How big a gap?
What amperage? (I plan to use lift-arc with no pedal or hand throttle.)
What size filler?
Any tips on figuring out how high to position it, since I can't move it after I've started welding?
Also, should I weld uphill or downhill on the sides of the pipe? Does ASME have a preference? (My CC course was in structural stick welding, and all our welding was uphill.)
Anything else I should be asking, but don't have the sense to ask?

Thanks in advance for any advice for the new dummy.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 04-23-2015 19:08 Edited 04-23-2015 19:13
Hi Jacob

37.5 bevel angle
0 - 1/32 land
3/32 - 1/8 root opening
3/32 and/or 1/8 inch rod
Weld it to a piece of plate and clamp the plate down
Weld uphill

Stop welding immediately when you contaminate the tungsten.  To continue is a waste of time and effort.

Be sure to remove all oxides from the bevel face and an inch back or so on the inside and outside of the pipe before tacking up.

Don't put too much emphasis on 6G test position - passing tests is meaningless if you aren't completely competent in the more common field positions that the test position qualifies you to do.
Parent - By Jacob Reverb Date 04-24-2015 11:21
Thanks very much, Blaster. That's just the info I was looking for.

I'm guessing about 80-100A for amperage?
Parent - By Josephp (**) Date 04-25-2015 16:15
Download a Copy of "WELDING PRESSURE PIPELINES & PIPING SYSTEMS" published by Lincoln, good information at no cost.

at URL:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/Consumable_PipelinerConsumables-Pipeliner-PipelinerLH-D90/c2420.pdf

Regards

Joseph
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe 6G Help!