Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B Retest
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By iwboomer Date 03-19-2015 14:58
I have recently taken the CWI Seminar and Test, and have come up short on Part B. Approximately 6-7 week before the seminar I prepped by taking the online Pre-Seminar, upon successful completion, I then purchased and downloaded the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, I set it up in a Loose leaf binder and did a thorough study prior to the Seminar. While taking the seminar I quickly realized that I was lacking skills with the D1.1 codebook, and spent a lot of my evening hours working with it. I worked with Part B a little, but mainly focused on Part C and D1.1. On Test day I started with Part A, and felt good about it, when moving on to Part B, I found myself somewhat out of sync, I listened to the test instructor and failed to have my tools spread out and be ready when the test started, on top of that my timing strategy failed as I was a little unfamiliar with my new Ironman watch, and failed to start the timer correctly, which bit me later in the test as I completely lost track of time. As a result I answered all remaining questions quickly (some with my best guess) and then went backwards looking them up in the codebook and amending the answers. Needless to say, I felt poorly about my performance on Part B. Moving on to Part C, the test was hard, my studies paid off, as several of the questions came easy as I had touched on the material beforehand so I left feeling good about Part C.
When receiving results I achieved CAWI and was 3 questions shy of passing Part B. Did well on Part A, not as well as I would have liked on Part C but passed.
I have fast tracked myself into retaking the Visual Inspection Workshop, and retaking the Test Part B (before the upcoming changes scheduled for Part B). I have about 3 weeks to work with beforehand, My intentions are to re Study the Visual Inspection Workbook, Better familiarize myself with the Sample Part B Codebook (trying to know exactly what types of information is contained in it, and for which types of questions the information would be relevant), and of course test myself with all available sample questions.
My weakness in the test, Procedures and Welder Qualification 14/9, and Welding Inspection and Flaws 18/11.
I will also add that I am 55 years old, a Journeyman Iron Worker, and a Certified Welder for Decades.
I am putting this out here, and humbly asking for advice relating to anything that might help in learning the required knowledge and skills to be successful in Part B Round 2 From CWIs & SCWIS that care to offer assistance. Thank You
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-19-2015 15:40 Edited 03-19-2015 15:42
Don't feel lonely boomer, a lot of other people have done the same and a lot worse.
I recently trained 3 guys, with a much more extensive training regimen than you had, and they did the same.
2 are now CWI's after re-test, and 1 is having to test a 3rd time...

Things about part B -
Do not confuse part B with D1.1. Part B is it's own stand alone spec and has test questions designed to catch you answering from D1.1 memory. Look up the exact Part B answer for each question.
Be careful with your measurements. Most calcutaions are within 1/32" of acceptance or rejection.
Be sure you know how to accurately use a weld gauge, many people have misunderstandings about these.
Re taking the VI workshop is a good idea.
Son Set Consultants has a reasonable 40 hour online Part B training course, if you need it.

Keep studying, it's worth the effort.

Tim

P.S. - Welcome to the AWS Forum, you're wise to come here with questions.
Use the search function to review many past discussions on CWI testing and Part B.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-19-2015 15:58
IW,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Congrats on your efforts and achievement thus far.  You reached for a goal and are on your way.  That is very commendable. 

First, I DO NOT TEACH THE SEMINARS FOR AWS. 

That out of the way, as a section chairman and chairman of our section's Certification Committee I do classes on Preparing for the CWI Exams.

One thing I will say is "LOSE THE WATCH".  Too many test takers spend too much time trying to work their way through on a schedule and thus looking at their watch and calculating how much time they have used per question, how much time they need to make up, and how much time they have left.  Forget all that and keep your head in the exam.  The proctor will let you know when you have 30 minutes, 15 minutes, and time up.  That's all you need. 

Next, look over Part B carefully.  IT IS NOT D1.1!  There are many parts that are similar but while you have time, find the differences and then try to concentrate on what is in Part B and forget about D1.1.  Do not let yourself answer even one question from memory.  Work from the book.  Use the formulas from the book.  Use the inspection criteria from the book (they differ from D1.1).  Use the sample WPS, WPQR, PQR etc from the book.  Look them over and get used to the differences between the three especially WPQR's and WPS's.  WELDER PERFORMANCE QUALIFICATION REPORT vs. WELDING PROCEDURE REPORT.  Make sure you are looking at the correct Appendix when answering.  This usually happens more in the Part C because people have a hard time with Clause 3 and 4 and keeping the two items of Clause 4, WPQR and PQR as well as WPS separated and understanding what they are and what they do. 

Now, inspection and flaws.  One of the main getters is the fillet weld gauge.  It is a go/no go gauge.  Make sure you don't class welds as being larger than they are.  Many people will call a 1/4" weld a 5/16" weld because it is just 'SO CLOSE' to touching the point of the gauge.  It doesn't work that way.  If it doesn't touch enough to make the gauge unable to be firmly flat against both the vertical and horizontal planes then it isn't large enough.  Your light should be able to show at least a slight gap between one of the planes. 

One more thing.  Throw away the micrometer (actually, just leave it in the box or someone will take me literally).  People don't know how to read them, at least not fast enough.  They don't know how to adjust them.  They waste too much precious time trying to get it zeroed and then reading it.  And, none of the questions are that critical.  If you can't get it with the dial caliper and even the 6" machinists rule then you have other problems.  Remember, this is a test, not an actual lab situation.  Accuracy is not that precise and the answer will reveal itself easily without the micrometer and you will save time. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-19-2015 17:50
Relax, you are almost there.
Remember, this (Part B) is a test of your ability to ferret out info and not a "multiple Guess". Notes. Read the notes. The Devil is in the notes.
Part B was a brilliant move on AWS' part. Many of us deal with multiple codes, specs, etc. Some are totally unfamiliar to inspectors in their field of former expertise, home country or region (state 'WABO', LA County Dpty Insp., DOT, Mil Specs, for examples). So yes, I see it as a viable test of future CWIs abilities.

Being a good welder has little to do with CWI work. Just as being a marksman has little to do with Police work. Most cops never fire their weapon in the line of duty and most CWIs don't weld in the commission of their duties. I've only welded once (as an inspector) and it was only to disprove the whining welders that the Miller 8 pack was NOT the reason they could not pass a 6G Boiler Tube test. I did one side and my co-QC did the other half... no problems.

Xlnt advise (Brent) on letting the micrometer rest. I never understood why it was in the Kit. Probably as a "Ringer" to confuse the neophyte. Same with the timer/watch. Every test room I've been in had a clock on the wall.

Concerning Part B nuances...
It is cleverly composed (similar to D1.1) to confuse (maybe?...).
Not sure if it was in the original intent, but it is probably a substantial revenue generator from retest fees.
Just because it is only a few pages long does not make it easy or simple. E=mc2 is very brief right? Now who out there can make a fission reactor from that?
This is not a memorization test. I've been told that there is more than one issue of Part B. The one provided for study is slightly different than the hand out on test day.
Read every answer. Make no response instinctually.
Oh did I mention, "Read the Notes!".

Engineers and others way smarter than me have not "made the cut".
Similar to a welding test, some times you have a bad day. You've made it this far so the goal is well within sight. Your mind will free of the Parts A and C, so no pressure there on test day.
Hope this helps.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-19-2015 18:16
Man you hit the spot with two items in particular that I missed that I try to drum into people:

1) Read EVERY one of the answers before choosing.  AND, compare them to the text in the Part B book of Specifications (also true during the D1.1 open codebook test).  OFTEN they will drop a word or end a sentence before it should have been.  In essence it makes so that more than one answer is correct, but one is more correct, even, word perfectly correct.

and,

2) Read the notes.  So often your answer will be there.  Another way they make you chase your tail in order to find the correct answer and make sure you are paying attention.  Footnotes are a killer.

Yes, they have multiple test booklets with the bank of questions arranged differently.  This is why you have to record the letters and numbers off the front of your test booklet on your answer sheet.  They are making sure you get scored against the correct master answer sheet.  Not to mention that it is another part of seeing if you can understand and follow directions.   As the Amazing Al puts it, this is mainly a language comprehension test when you think about it.  There is more to analytic evaluation almost than there is to inspections knowledge.  You have the book in front of you to look up the inspection knowledge answer, but, you have to have the analytic ability in your mind and heart or you won't put the information together correctly. 

Brent
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-22-2015 20:43
Not only "Read all the answers", but consider starting with D (or the last answer) and work up to A.  The logic is if "none of the above" or "all of the above" or "both C and D are correct" are options in a particular group of answers,... they usually appear at the end of the list.  Before formulating your answer it's good to know those particular options exist.

Another tip if an exam has a separate sheet with the ovals to be filled in.... about every 10 questions, confirm you are on the correct line on the answer sheet.  If you get off one line you don't figure it out until the end of the section.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2015 10:59

>Another tip if an exam has a separate sheet with the ovals to be filled in.... about every 10 questions, confirm you are on the correct line on the answer sheet.  If you get off one line you don't figure it out until the end of the section.

Excellent advice! I wasn't sure of an answer, so I skipped a question to come back to after I had finished knocking out all of the ones that I was sure of. When I came back to answer the skipped question, I had messed up and missed the line when filling in ovals....I spent the last several minutes of the exam going back over every answer to make sure that all of my answers agreed with what I had marked. Man, I was sweating that I wouldn't get it checked out in time....I passed, but that was an anxious moment or two trying to sort that out.
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 03-19-2015 21:23
Here are a few test tips I learned from my wife that have served me well on timed multiple question exams.  This approach helps you manage your time with out thinking too hard or timing your self.

1)On your first pass through the exam answer only the questions that you can answer quickly.

Do not even hesitate to skip a question, or many questions, for that matter that you cannot answer quickly.  Time eating questions are frequently placed at the beginning of an exam to purposely slow you down.  You can answer these on subsequent passes through the exam.

Skip math questions they take too much time on the first pass through.

2)On your second pass through the exam answer only questions that take a moderate amount of time to figure out. 

Save the really hard ones that require more time or a possible guess for the next pass through.

Answer the math questions.

3)On your last pass through answer the really hard question and any that you may need to guess on.

If you have to guess start by eliminating the obviously wrong answers to better your odds.

4)If you are allowed to write on the exam take advantage.

Circle your chosen answer. This allows you to quickly check your scantron sheet for mistakes at the end of the test.
Mark the questions you skipped. I usually put a big “X” next to the question in the margin.

For really tough/borderline guessing questions slash out the obviously wrong answers. This helps you visually narrow it down to an educated guess.
When flat out guessing I mark it with a question mark in the margin just so I know how many I guessed on in the end.

Remember to have a plan and stick with it even if you feel like you are losing time.  For example I took an ASNT exam and ended up skipping the first 15 questions because they were all math and time eaters. I got nervous the first time I looked at my watch because I hadn't answered as many as I would have liked but later in the exam the easier questions started popping up and after my first pass through I was in an okay position and could spend more time answering the harder questions. On that exam I went through four times before I finally got to the last two questions that I full on guessed the answers for.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-20-2015 11:29 Edited 03-20-2015 11:32
A note on footnotes  :)

*~~Text

*~~Figures

*~~Tables

The code book (or part "B") has an index in the back...  Everybody uses this to relate the key words in a test question to the appropriate answer..  This is meet and right so to do...   However:

The index almost always will provide multiple references to the key word, in clauses, text,  in figures,  and in tables.  Each of these three or any one of these three may have a footnote that informs the answer. (Read helps you make the correct decision in real life)  The exams test the prospective inspectors ability to quickly reference all the important information.

More about multiple references:
The test is timed and multiple references take a lot of time to individually look up.  Tabbing your code book will help.  Knowing which Clause/section contains what type of information is essential..  Clause 2=Design,  Clause 3=Prequalification, Clause 6=Inspection etc.  Memorize the 8 Clauses/sections and what they are for, THIS IS THE ONLY THING IN THE D1.1 CODE YOU SHOULD EVER MEMORIZE. If the test question mentions design and the index provides text and tables in multiple clauses go to clause 2 information first.

Tabbing your code book..  D1.1 as an example
The book has three open sides, too many tabs is just as confusing as zero tabs.. So try to limit to about 5-7 max per open side of your code book.
Pick a color of tab for each side
Pick a purpose for each side... Like: 
~~~Right side for sections 1-8
~~~Top Side Important Tables
~~~Bottom side important figures
It really does not matter too much how they are broken down as long as they MAKE SENSE TO YOU!   Many people will coach you on tabbing, listen to all of them and pick the way that helps you most quickly and accurately get from index to information....  If you are an old salty dog who has used the code for years and years.. Maybe you go better without tabs at all...  If they confuse you, rip them out !
- By Andrew Luby Date 03-20-2015 12:19
I don't chime in often but I think I can add something here.

I had the same situation as you did, first time around Part B was my nemesis.

Everybody here has given some great advice. Personally I found that I had to go into the test ,just plain dumb. Just forget everything you have ever learned about welding, anything you have ever heard an inspector say, and anything anyone has ever said about code books and weld evaluation. I only say that because all of your answers must come from the Part B book and nothing else.

The only studying I did between tests was on how to calculate tensile pulls correctly, I was pretty sure I had it correct the first time around but I wasn't fully confident. When I re-tested walked out confident that I had done that part better than my first go around.

Good Luck
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-22-2015 18:57 Edited 03-22-2015 19:00
There are a lot of good suggestions already, but I'll contribute my 2 cents worth. It is free advice, so take it for what you paid for it.

1) Use your time piece to keep track of time. It is too easy to get lost in the questions and forget about the time.
2) Mark the margin of the answer sheet with a tick mark where you should be in 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and 90 minutes. If you feel like it, mark the actual time so you don't fall behind.
3) Buy a calculator if you don't have one. A TI-30 is fine for what is required on the Part B examination. Practice with it before the day of the test so you are familiar with how it works and where the function keys are. There are no difficult math questions, but when you hear someone say, "How do you turn this darn thing on?" you know that individual is not going to pass.
4) Skip any question you find difficult. when you skip a question, place a tick mark on the answer sheet so you remember to skip that line when you do answer the next question.
5) Read every question and underline the key word so you have a good understanding of what the question is asking; procedure, performance, acceptance criteria, etc.
6) Read every response and place a "T" or "F" next to each one. Use the process of elimination to narrow the responses to one or two possibilities.
7) Take notice of footnotes. Footnotes are typically found at the end of the table. Footnotes in the title are global. They apply to the entire table. Footnotes in the column heading apply to anything in that column. Footnotes after an  entry applies to that entry only.
8) Notes at the end of the table apply to the entire table. Don't confuse a note with a footnote.
9) Part B is a fictitious, a make believe welding standard. It doesn't have to make sense. What may appear to be a mistake may be intentional. It is a fake standard.
10) Can you read? Can you apply a requirement as it is written? That is the question. It is a English comprehension examination. Are you literate?
11) Can you use a fillet gage? Can you use a dial caliper? Can you use a ruler? Did you listen to the instructor and can you follow directions?
12) Leave your preconceived notions of what a weld should look like at home. Read the fake welding standard and apply the information provided.
13) Now that you have gone through the entire test and now you have 20 minutes left, go back to the answer sheet and look for the questions with the tick marks. Remember, those are the one's you skipped.
14) Are you ready to study for the examination? You have a week or two (remember, you signed up 6 weeks before the examination date and you downloaded the Part B Book of Specifications) to review the Part B Book of Specifications. Write questions for each section of the Book of Specifications. You have to read the requirements carefully and understand what is discussed to write a good question and five responses. Only one of the responses can be correct. Spend some time on each question, it will help you understand the subject matter.
15) Write questions that require you to convert SI units to customary units. Temperature, length, flow rate, area, weight, etc. Don't forget to write a few questions that require you to add, multiply, divide, and subtract fractions. Fractions always seem to give people the fits! Not that hard; it was covered in grammar school.
16) Remember the difference between tensile strength (API 1104) and ultimate tensile strength (the rest of the educated world). Do what the question asks.
17) Do not trust your memory on the day of the test, find the answer in the Book of Specifications.

Part B; it is a snap if you prepare before the test.

Clocks in the examination room! Never happened in my time as a test proctor. Bring your own time piece. Keep it simple. A watch you have to learn to use? Get one that a kid in grammar school can read. Keep it simple.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 04-18-2015 23:39
How many questions come from the Part B book of specifications?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-19-2015 04:10
46 if my sluggish brain remembers correctly.

Brent
- - By iwboomer Date 04-09-2015 16:08
Thank You Everyone for your input. I have read your advice here several times & put together a "stay focused" sheet of things to keep in mind test day, including remarks from here, things my Instructor from the workshop has enlightened me with, and tidbits I have accumulated elsewhere. I welded up a few T joints and a butt joint, to practice my measuring (fillet, reenforcement, porosity, and undercut). I took the advice and did the Son Set Course. I currently have a few sample tests to work thru (timed). A section meeting tonight, a Harley ride to St. Louis tomorrow, a good nights rest. Retesting Saturday.
Parent - - By iwboomer Date 04-23-2015 16:54
46 is correct on Part B. Haven't got my detailed results back yet, but I have been notified that I achieved a passing grade.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-24-2015 16:23
Congrats.

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2015 23:54
Good show!

Al
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-25-2015 08:18 Edited 04-25-2015 09:58
Good deal! Now what? If this be a new career path, maybe we'll see ya out there somewhere.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 04-26-2015 22:54
Ive been going thru the Part B book of specs this weekend(in the Visual inspection handbook) . Nothing seemed to difficult(as long as I read ALL the notes), However, I am lost on the Figure 6.4 in Appendix XVI. Any give me some guidance here?
Parent - - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-27-2015 14:42
What is the "Visual Inspection Handbook"?
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 04-27-2015 15:54
Visual inspection Workshop book
Parent - - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-27-2015 15:00
If you are referring to Appendix XVI, Fig 6.4, this is how I understand it:
a) The Y axis is your weld size. The X axis defines the distance between discontinuities shown via radiograph.
b) The "diagonal" line defines the maximum size of a discontinuity.

Consider:
A 3/4" weld is radiographed.
The MAX size discontinuity is just less than 1/4".
     Draw a horizontal line from y-axis 3/4 mark, until it intersects the diagonal line.
The MIN clearance between any discontinuties is just less than 2-1/8".
     From the horizontal line/diagonal line intersection point, draw a vertical line down until it reaches the x-axis.
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 04-27-2015 15:53
Thank you! That is simple enough...just couldn't see it at the time. :p
- - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-27-2015 14:31
"AWS Visual Inspection Workshop Book VIW-M:2008 4th edition, 2008"
I have issue with a question from this book.
I think AWS made an error.

Consider:

3.4) A Welder has been qualified for groove welding using a 2” sch. 80 test coupon in the 2G position. Is the welder qualified for welding 4” sch. 80 pipe?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Yes, but not in the 5G or 6G position.
The answer to this is "C". Reasonably straightforward.

3.5) For the above qualification, could electrodes of classification E7028 be used if the pipe conformed to API 5L Gr. X52?
A) Yes
B) No
C) Yes, but not in the 5G or 6G position.
First, I assumed "API 5L Gr. X52" is a typo, and should be "API 5LX Gr. X52".
The AWS answer given is "C".

HOWEVER: Electrode E7028 can only be used in the "Flat" position for groove welds, or "Flat and Horizontal" for fillet welds.
The "2" of the "7028" defines this.

This is a 2G "pipe" weld qualification position.

Electrode E7028 can NOT be used at all.
My interpretation is different than the AWS answer book.
The answer should be "B" "NO".

Does anyone else agree with me?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-27-2015 19:19 Edited 04-27-2015 19:22
"Weldcome" to the AWS Welding Forum Louis!

You need to identify and show with proof that is acceptable why your answer is correct by citing data that indeed states that E-7028 cannot be used on "API 5LX Gr. X52" in order to convince me why your answer is the correct one instead the AWS Visual Inspection Workshop Book VIW-M:2008 4th edition, 2008 answer which is "c"... As well as where it states that an E-7028 electrode can only be welded in the groove weld position you posted... I need more convincing than what you have posted.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-27-2015 19:23
But that is why they give you room to argue the question at the back of each section.  I think when I took my CWI exam I argued 4 questions total and they gave me 2 of them, the other 2 were already correct.  It sucks though cause when I went to later take my LA city welding exam, I flew through it and felt very good since I had been a CWI for a few years at that point and read code often.  They marked 3 wrong and I said " LET ME ARGUE!"  They asked me to leave.  Passed but dammit it its the principal of it! haha

maxwell
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2015 19:55
Louis,

Sorry, but I would disagree.  Explanation:

Both A and C are correct.  Yes, it can be used, though only in the 1G position or for 1F or 2F applications.

C would be more correct in stating two of the three exceptions to allowing it's usage. 

Obviously, an answer like, 'Yes, but not in the 2G, 5G, or 6G position' would be most correct.

But simply stated, yes, it can be used by the welder qualified to the qualifications as stated in the first question. 

And, the WIT book is not the final authority on positions that can be welded with a given electrode.  What does D1.1 say?  It doesn't cover it.  What does the manufacturer's specifications say?  I'll let you find out. 

Remember, this is preparing people for the AWS/CWI exams.  There are no trick questions!!  Yeah right, in this exam EVERY question and answer is a trick question.  It all depends upon one's definition and application of 'TRICK'.  It is an English comprehension and practical interpretation skills exam as much as it is anything else.

One more area of disagreement:  API 5L Grade X52 is correctly stated according to D1.1 and every reference referred to with a Google search.  Not sure where you found a listing of API 5LX Gr. X52, but I couldn't find that one anywhere.  Many times the 'Grade' is left off and it will read 'API 5L X52'.  Then if you see 'API 5L X' it is because the 'X' is just a place holder and the supplier and/or purchaser has not specified the grade.  But, no typo.  It is what it is. 

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-28-2015 09:42 Edited 04-28-2015 09:47
For question 3.4 I personally would have argued that both of them being incorrect and I mention this because if one looks @ answer A, it's obviously incorrect... Now answer "A" is incorrect because it's obvious that a yes answer would then allude to the number 2 in 7028 includes that any position is allowable/acceptable, when in fact one can use it in no more than the noted position(s) for number 2...And yet the designation really means that the electrode is designed to be welded in the flat position only for groove welds, and only a horizontal fillet weld would be the exception that's acceptable... So if the AWS will only accept the use of a 7028 in the flat position groove, and the job is to code then it is what it is... I have used 7028 in the past in the horizontal position in a grooved joint many times to show what would happen if the incorrect electrode was used but, that was when I was teaching:eek::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::roll::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Answer "C" would be the most correct one out of the two, but nonetheless, it's incorrect also because it fails to include the 2G position along with the 5G and 6G positions indicated as not allowed to use in those positions... However, I believe that "C" would be closer to being completely correct than "A" and this is the way the AWS sometimes thinks... By either tricking you in this manner or by leaving behind a typo, and not completely proof reading all of the answers and this has happened more than once...

The bottom line is this... My challenge to you was done with the purpose of showing you that in order to be completely and absolutely correct it is necessary to prove it completely so that there is no room for doubt... There was still doubt in your argument...

The same can be included towards your answer in question 3.5 because you did not cite any reference that would prove that API 5L Grade X52 is incorrectly written in this question as Brent noted in the previous post. Good CWI education thread IMHO... Btw, what part of the city are you from? I ask this because I am also from NYC.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2015 13:15 Edited 04-28-2015 13:19
Ok, now it was I who 'assumed'.  Good points Henry.

See, I 'assumed' in that I read and interpreted the question to 'mean' after qualifying could the welder 'use' the electrode in question in 'ANY' welding of the specific pipe mentioned.  To which the answer is 'yes'.  But, only in the proper positions for the electrode.  And, it is more correct to exclude the positions that it would not be able to be used in.

Upon reading your post and going back and re-reading the OP I see there is great room for doubt, at least in my mind (trick question? LOL).  See, the question could well mean to ask if one can use that electrode while running the aforementioned test.  If so, I would agree with the 'NO' answer as long as the full report on the electrode does indeed indicate that it can only be used in the 1G and 1 & 2F positions which I still say you cannot use the WIT book as your final authority.  I understand your point as I have also used these in the horizontal especially on larger sections with good sized bevels.  But these are the exceptions and have very limited application. 

edit: and just for the record Louis, yes, I have found 'mistakes' in several of the study books for the CWI exams.  Gets one into the books checking and double checking and trying to see if my view, interpretation, understanding of the material and question is correct.  Makes us better for our jobs.  Research is a key part of our work.
Parent - - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-28-2015 15:26
Hi, thank you.

I think we agree.

A 7028 electrode could only be used for 1G, 1F, & 2F qualification positions.

This question is written poorly. I believe AWS didn't think it through.

***What answer would you put on the test?***

I was born and raised in the Bronx, I now work in Queens.
Have a nice day,
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2015 16:32
Many of the sample questions are used as samples because they are similar to but not identical with those on the exams and were removed from the test question database because of their questionable wording and/or wording and answer compatibility.  But, they serve their purpose in getting you into the material and making sure you know how to best answer the question even if you disagree with their answer in the sample exams.

Brent
- - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-28-2015 18:45
Another one. Very deceptive, and difficult.

Use Part B ONLY.

A welder submits 2 reduced section tension tests, and 4 side bend, 2G test coupon from a 12 in. schedule 80 pipe for a welder qualification. All tests are passed. Is the welder qualified for the welding of 4 in. schedule 80 pipe?
A) Yes
B) No

scroll down for my answer.

I say "B".
A welder can not submit a 12" schedule 80 coupons for a welder qualification.
The largest pipe size from which to cut coupons is 8" dia.
The welder didn't qualify to anything, according to part "B".

Thoughts?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2015 21:24
Louis,

A couple of comments and then a question:

Remember that the Part B exam is a 'Bogus Book' exam to make sure the test taker can inspect to ANY code;
Remember, the practice questions have been out for years and are far from perfect;
Remember, the practice exams are there to get you into the book and familiar with it so you have no excuse for a lack of familiarity;
Remember, there are different versions of the Book of Specs as well as the questions, especially the actual test questions which are even now in the process of being revised and altered to distribute a brand new Part B exam.
Thus, the answer is not as important as the effort to find it and get familiar with the book.

Now, it has been a while so indulge me, don't the practice questions come in 'sections' and on occasion begin with an explanation that will guide in one's decision making process for the next set of questions?  Is this one of those and there may be more information than what is given in the individual question that you quoted for our comments/thoughts?

The newest Part B Book of Specifications that I have hasn't changed much from the one I took my test to (I know because I still have a copy of it as well) but I don't seem to have a copy handy of the practice questions.  So, if you could assist by checking and answering my question I would appreciate it.

Another comment before I close and await your answer, it is interesting some of the information included in the question that does not fit the Appendix for Welder Qualification Test Requirements.  For example, only 2 side bends and no reduced sections are required for the 2G.  I can't help but think there is information missing.

Brent
Parent - - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-29-2015 12:55
...to answer:

"...answer is not as important as the effort to find it..."
This is my purpose: dig through, & get familiar reading any code.

I wrote this question to simulate an AWS question.
I specifically added misleading/unneccesary data, and wanted to get others input.

I'm trying to get a handle on Welder qualification vs. WPS qualification.
I used "Part B, RevD, Jan 2006, ed corrections Dec 2008 (2)".

I'd like feedback on the question, as written, to confirm I have, or do not have, a handle on the thought process.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-29-2015 13:18
You're trying to make things to complicated and giving too much misleading and conflicting information.

You won't see questions like that even though they do try to make sure you are paying attention.

Also, when simulating AWS CWI exam questions, give 4 possible answers.  I can't think of any that have only 2.

BB
Parent - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-29-2015 17:16
...I was trying to refine the thought process.
Would you disagree, or agree with the answer I propose?
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 04-29-2015 00:59
My book states that question as 2in ,not 12 in pipe. So C is the correct answer
Parent - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-29-2015 12:56
...I wrote the question as 12" to get all the details...
Parent - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-29-2015 17:16
...I was trying to refine the thought process.
Would you disagree, or agree with the answer I propose?
- - By mwmw (**) Date 04-29-2015 01:04
On the test do you have to memorize the formulas for tensile/yield, elongation, flow rate ,metric conversions etc, or do they provide the formula and you just have to be able to use you them
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-29-2015 02:28
They provide the formula.  On part B it is on the inside of the front cover.  For the closed book General Knowledge test it will be within the wording of the question.

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2015 11:54
Be careful when calculating the strength of the specimen. Read the question carefully to determine whether you are calculating tensile strength (API 1104) or ultimate tensile strength (AWS, ASME, and the rest of the civilized world).

API divides the load at failure by the area of the original cross section, whereas the rest of the civilized world uses ultimate tensile strength is the maximum load divided by the area of the original cross section.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By LouisC_NYC (*) Date 04-29-2015 17:53
Would please you clarify, I'm having difficulty understanding:

Assume test specimen is rectangular: 0.513 in x 0.111 in
XC area = 0.513 in x 0.111 in
XC area = 0.057 in^2.

Assume it first "stretches unelastically" at 2035 lbs.
Assume it "rips apart" at 3500 lbs

Yield Strength = Yield Load / XC area
Yield Strength = 2035 lbs  /0.057 in^2
Yield Strength = 35,700 lb/in^2

Tensile Strength = Break load / XC area
Tensile Strength = 3500 lbs/0.057 in^2
Tensile Strength = 61,400 lb/in^2

I assume this is in accord with D1.1, table 3.1, Yield Strength & Tensile Strength.
Am I correct?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2015 02:35
I do not believe any of the questions on part B asks one to determine the YS of a test sample.

If the question asks one to calculate the UTS as per D1.1, the question must include the maximum load and sufficient information to determine the original cross sectional area.

Best regards - Al
- - By mwmw (**) Date 05-04-2015 03:43
I saw somewhere the failure rate for people taking the cwi exam for the first time is approx. 29% ..is that correct?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-04-2015 13:22
More like 60-70%. 

Exams are hard to break down.  How many have taken the test before?  How many have taken the seminar or some teaching (Hobart, Real Education, union classes, etc) at least once?  How many are engineers or have some college level schooling in the subject areas?  Etc.

On average right now, less than 50% pass during each exam given from the total in the room.  How it breaks down is a crap shoot unless you have Miami's computers to figure it out.

Personal guess from taking the exam, 1 endorsement, and proctoring several exams: 1st timers without classes= 70% fail; 1st timers with class=60% fail; 2nd test= 50% fail; 3rd test and others with college and previous CWI's retaking it for multiple reasons=40% fail. 

As most in the room will be first timers either with or without the seminar, a high percentage of the room fails.  All depends upon your past experience, education, and how much self study you put into it as well as taking some form of classes.

- - By MikeOM2 Date 05-23-2015 14:59
Hi everyone,
I find myself having to retake Part B. While taking the time to go through where I went wrong, I am stuck on this question simply because I have been instructed to solve the problem with two different formulas by two different pre-training educators. Question: In Appendix III, Prequalified Complete Joint...page 4, what is the proper way to find the minimum and maximum groove angle and root opening, i.e., for "As Fitup" condition using B-U2-S? I'm keeping the instructions short:

1. Add both the "As Detailed" and "As Fitup" together, unless otherwise directed, with the "Groove Preparation" numbers to solve the tolerance range question.
Or...
2. Only add the "As Fitup" column to the "Groove Preparation" numbers to solve the tolerance range question.

Any help here would greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million,
Mike
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-24-2015 01:17
Mike,

For the most part, when it comes to taking the exam, you are going to have to read the question carefully to determine if the answer will require only one, and which one, or both be added together.

If the question asks what the maximum is for the drawing then it is only the 'As Detailed' to be added.

If it asks, for example, what the maximum root opening is for the joint, then you would add both.

Why?  The engineer can say, no, I want them to allow extra room to make sure they get the root put in good.  So, they allow for the extra as per the 'As Detailed'.  Then, the shop, due to a tolerance factor or mistake, ends up adding all of their allowance to the approved detail drawing so both have been added.  When the question vaguely asks what the maximum is...you add both. 

But, if the engineer and detailer call the joint out at the standard specified amount, the fabricator can only add the 'As Fit' tolerance.  But, if they end up with extra opening, the engineer can authorize the opening to be at the full extra allowed when you add both OR just call for correction by welding. 

Parent - By MikeOM2 Date 05-24-2015 11:11
Brent,
Thanks for the clear and well said response. You have helped me immensely. Have a wonderful day.

Respectfully,
Mike
- - By BigFNtruck Date 08-07-2015 00:56
I was wondering if anyone knows if weld splatter on a plastic test piece is considered a discontinuity?

Thanks,

Joey
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B Retest
1 2 Previous Next