Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG or MIG please help!
- - By beefalobilly Date 09-05-2004 21:44
I'm trying to decide what kind of machine to get for my home shop. I will be doing a number of different things..such as welding steel tubing (sand rail) welding exhaust pipes (aluminized steel) and then some aluminum also.

I know how to weld, and I realize MIG is easier, but I'm not sure if it's versatile enough.

I would like to get a TIG but I remember reading some TIGS can't weld aluminum, and that some can, but I'm afraid the ones that can weld aluminum are too expensive.

Can someone help me choose a good versatile welder, or point me to a place that will explain the different features of a TIG machine? THanks
Parent - By jbfabrication Date 09-07-2004 13:59
If you go TIG, just make sure you get an ac/dc power source. Aluminum needs ac, where others, like stainless needs dc TIG. MIG is easier, where TIG is more precision and needs a better controlled welder. It also depends on the thickness of material you'll be welding. Down under .125, aluminum can get tricky with MIG and you'll probably need a pulser. With TIG you can get down to whatever your welding capabilities will let you. 1/16th Tungsten, etc. Theres no splatter on TIG and I'd say that TIG penetrates better. For what you are doing, an inverter TIG would be great b/c they are small and portable and don't take up that much shop space, the downside is $$$. I personally think it comes down to application, thats what decides the weld process. Hope this helps.
Parent - By tinker Date 09-07-2004 20:00
If I could have only one machine for a home shop it would be an AC/DC inverter for TIG. I love my little MIG too and use it for an awful lot of things because it's quick but if you aren't in a hurry TIG will just about do it all. I've also found it a lot easier to get into some of the tight spots on our sand rail that are a pain to squeeze that MIG gun into. Also lets me work carefully at my own pace given all the independent control you've got over the heat and filler.

I was looking at one of the AC/DC T/A units or the HTP ($1,800-$2,200 as I recall) but jumped at the chance to get a cheap DC T/A (250 GTS) since most of my work was steel. Still looking to step up to an AC/DC unit but I love my little T/A box. Does a nice job of running stick too!
Parent - By dashine Date 09-08-2004 08:35
Have you checked out the "lincoln precision 185"?
I believe they have a web site devoted specifically for this welder.
ac/dc tig with built in pulser. I've seen them for around 1600.00
Parent - By Trae Date 09-11-2004 04:21
The Lincoln Precision TIG 185 for $1600 or so is a great deal. Look around at Oxarc and Norco welding stores, they are running great sales right now (if you have them in your area). Or look online, get posted on the equipment wanted list here. I have the Precision TIG 275 and love it. The 185 is the same quality machine with less amperage. Weld steel, stainless steel, aluminum and other alloys with these machines. Plus hook up the SMAW leads to stick weld. AC, DC+, DC-. Make sure to get the water cooler and water cooled torch though (hot fingers suck). Pulse option is nice to have also.
Trae
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG or MIG please help!