Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / One More Certification Project Complete
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-18-2015 00:32
Well, after 3 years of working this direction and especially for the past 2 years taking courses through NDT College, getting hands on experience everywhere and every time we could, and getting our Level III consultant on retainer, my son, Darrell, and I finished off another 3 days of classes, quizzes, and specific, general, and practical exams and are now certified Level II MT personnel.  Still have to get son Luke some more experience hours but he did great on quizzes and exams and he learned a lot.

Went to class for 8 hours a day then drove across town to my swing shift inspection job and tried to squeeze in some study time each night.  Less than 5 hours of sleep per night all week long and staying at a hotel since Tuesday night.  I sleep so well in those.  Time for a nap before I drive home tonight.  Sure don't recommend doing it this way but I didn't have much choice.  Did pretty well too.  Sure learned a lot. 

Now we start the easy stuff... UT class is the end of August. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2015 11:11
Sounds awesome Brent. Like reading about this stuff as I have this ridiculous desire to start working on CWI things myself. Not getting any younger!

Ahh, hotels. Last one I stayed in the bed was miraculous! Told everybody it felt like I was being cuddled in the hands of an Angel!! LOL!! Others feel like I'm staying over and Fred and Wilma's house.

Good luck at UT class! Don't you have some remodeling to do?? LOL!!

Shawn
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-18-2015 12:56
Keep after the brass ring!

Go show!

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-18-2015 16:52
Congratulations Brent to you and your son.

M.G.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-19-2015 14:49
Congrats on the move fwd. UT class should be interesting for you.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-19-2015 17:58
Congratulations!
The one thing I remember from UT school was the acronym ...F PADS CRYN...  but the "y" is inverted from lambda, the physicists' symbol for wavelength.
UT is fun stuff. I just missed out on a deal for a straight beam machine. Danged it!
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-20-2015 01:05
'Weldone Brent', it is a highly desirable objective you and your son wish to achieve! You have put yourselves out in aim of the fountain of knowledge, never a bad thing but a road many seem not to favour! Good luck with the UT, it beat me!
- By mwmw (**) Date 07-19-2015 05:27
Congrats to you both!
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-20-2015 14:06
Thanks guys.

It has truly been a learning experience.  There a many things elaborated upon when you take these classes that the AWS Seminar doesn't spend enough time on.  Metallurgy, the eye and reflected light, and so much more.  Then all the MT and now UT properties, procedures, and functions. 

Hate to say it, but I think back and shutter at all the things I have seen done wrong.  Some are minor issues, others, oh just pray everything was truly okay. 

Working on the house some, taking off for OR this weekend for a couple weeks with my parents over their 60th anniversary, then really start some pre-class study for the UT. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / One More Certification Project Complete