Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NFPA Fuel Gas Code 54
- - By sdcwi (*) Date 09-17-2004 02:38
I have been inspecting the structural steel for a co-generation plant, and the work expanded to include the feedwater and high pressure steam lines. This was no problem as I have a copy of ASME B31.1, but today I was asked about the turbine lube oil cooler lines. The job specifications call for NFPA Fuel Gas Code 54, and there is no copy available onsite. Before I beat the bushes trying to find one, can anyone out there tell me if they have worked with this code, and does it contain anything specific to pipe welding, or does it just refer you to ASME B31.1? The contractor on this job has never seen this requirement before, and I would hate to purchase yet another code book if it isn't going to apply to welding.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-17-2004 13:13
I don't have my copy handy and it's been a while since I have used it. I remember that the price wasn't too bad, around $40 in 1998? Welding requirements referred to ASME 9. I'll get back to you on Monday if you haven't received info you need by then.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By sdcwi (*) Date 09-18-2004 14:48
Thanks for the info, Chet. We finally heard back from the engineer yesterday afternoon. He said he put the NFPA requirement in for the testing on the pipelines, but that we could go ahead and weld to ASME. $40.00 doesn't sound too bad, I might just buy one anyway.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-18-2004 16:51
You can order it for $38.25 on the NFPA website in hard copy or pdf version.

http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?category%5Fname=&pid=5402&target%5Fpid=5402&src%5Fpid=&link%5Ftype=search

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NFPA Fuel Gas Code 54