Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / looking for a tutor/mentor
- - By robert_cowan83 Date 08-18-2015 01:10
I'm in north Charlotte I have been studying WIT for the last few weeks . I have been welding for the last five years structural steel. I'm looking for someone to study with,trade material or just give me advice. If your in charlotte and are already or studying for CWI I could use all the help I can't get. I appreciate it.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-18-2015 03:27
Hello Robert, have you made any connections with your local AWS chapter? You might try getting with those folks, there might be just the right match for you with them if you haven't already considered that angle. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-19-2015 10:37
I am about 3 hours away in Greeneville Tn and may be able to help. You can call or text me on my cell at 6626600162 .

Another option is to post questions about the topics you may have questions or doubts about here in the forum.

We are going to have the section (Holston Valley) meeting here and I am going to speak about welder certification, may be a good time to come up meer some people. Not exactly in your area, but close.

Have a great day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By robert_cowan83 Date 08-22-2015 22:46
When is your meeting?
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-20-2015 13:16
I agree that a study partner can help, and it's good you have the WIT manual now.  What other study materials to you have available, when did you schedule your examination and are you planning to attend the pre-examination seminar?
- - By robert_cowan83 Date 08-19-2015 01:13
Thanks for the advice. I have tried to look in to my region they don't update much I guess I will have to light a fire under them, but I do appreciate it I will keep at it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2015 01:39
Robert,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Ashville, Raleigh, and Greenville all have section meetings.  Go to the main AWS website, resources, find a section.  Scroll down through and you can get contact info. 

Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By robert_cowan83 Date 08-22-2015 22:45
I have kinda tried to look around on the website and will continue. I also have the welding inspection handbook and I have been looking up flashcards I'm also trying to get the D1.1 codebook from work and yes I am going to take the seminar and probably the online course I might take the exam next year if I feel comfortable enough.
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 08-23-2015 01:25
There is an Android app called "Welding & Metallurgy study book"  that had some very good questions. I went threw about 40 of them last night and there were quite a few that i remembered from the Fundamentals exam
- - By robert_cowan83 Date 08-23-2015 12:04
I also have the cwi prep app for android and it says there are about 9 different subjects all with 25 questions eachn I just found the other day
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2015 14:10
Well, not exactly.  It has many other sub groups and some only have a couple of questions while others have around 15.  And it is very hard for the average person to categorize the questions.  I have had many people tell me, 'I don't know why we studied that area especially so much.  It was wasted time.  I only saw 1 question from that.'  But then on the test results they go ' how did I miss 5 questions in that category?  There were only 2'. 

It is a waste of time to try to break down the test too much.  Just study everything and know your stuff. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / looking for a tutor/mentor