Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / please help
- - By 4est19 Date 10-01-2015 20:11
I am 20 years old. I got a mig welding job in a local fan shop while I was in high school. After 6 months I was promoted to head welder/second shift plant foreman. After working at this fab shop for 3 years I got tired of the BS that comes along with working in a small family owned bussiness, and only making $10 an hour. So I got a job on the pipeline as a welders helper cuz they want you to start at the bottom so you can figure out how things work on the pipeline. Even has a welders helper I make more in 1 week then I did in a month at the fab shop... But I've spent more time laid off then I have actually worked since I joined the pipeline. The jobs I have worked have been short jobs (about 1-3 weeks long) then I spend 1.5 mo laid off. So by the time they find me another job I've already went threw all the money I made on my last job paying my bills while off work so I have to try to find a way to borrow around $1000 for a hotel room and living expenses until a check comes through cuz most my jobs are 3-6 hours from my house... With all that being said I'm thinking about spending this off season getting my stick and tig pipe welding certs and trying to get a job in a pipe welding shop a lil over an hour from my house. Starting pay in this shop is around $35 an hour (I make $30-$39 an hour depending on where job is at as a pipeline welders helper). If I got into this shop I would spend a lot less time laid off and, be home every night (which would be cool cuz I'm really not a big fan of working on the road) clearly if I stuck with the pipeline eventually when I started welding I would make more money than I would in the shop. But I would still bring home around $2,000 a week. Its pretty well year round work and I would be home every night with my family when ever I have one. But if I stay on pipeline the more seniority you have the less time you spend laid off. So I could give my family everything they could ever dream of but not be there with them ever... What should I do. My family could live comfortably if I worked shop job or have everything they could ever want besides a father always being around to help raise them... Please help me
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-02-2015 04:36
Ah the ages old dilemma of feast and famine or go for the "Security" of a real job (whatever that might be!). Welcome to the club.

Should you stay in pipeline work, the best thing you could do is get a credit card or a prepaid card with say $2K on it and stash it away. DO NOT break it out for anything but to get to and get set up on a gig. I have been doing the "Fest and Famine" Road Whore life for about 40 years. It got in my blood and I do not (As did you) fare well with the politics, personality conflicts and other BS of a steady job.

The decision is one only you can make. Most of the pipeline work is in a "Bust" downtrend now, the boom is over. I would seriously consider the fab shop until things pick up. Up here in North Dakota, everyone is of course saying "the BOOM will be back next year..."
But they always say that. I think things have played out in the Marcellus Shale and Bakken Fields. The next boom will be somewhere else.
In the 80's in Wyoming, we used to have bumper stickers...
Dear Lord, PLEASE let there be another Boom
I Promise not to Pizz it all away next time!
I'm thinking about printing up a bunch more and selling them in NoDak.

Best of luck to Ya on your choice.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 10-11-2015 17:47
Get a strong plan together.  Take the job and save more then you spend.  You are in a perfect position right now.  The oilfield is bust right now which means a lot of welders and rig trucks will start showing up cheep.  Save untill you can rig up your own truck bit by bit.  The oilfield may take years to come back.  Dont count on the oilfield.  Where there is a bust there is a boom In Something else.  There are great paying rig truck jobs in other fields.  Chill water projects, and structural projects just to name two of many.  If you think OUT of the box and look  there is a lot of rig truck work out there.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 10-13-2015 01:30
Best thing I did in "09" when the main economy tanked was to get into the energy field ( Marcellous ) ....Pipe welding/ drill rig / compressor station kept me and my business afloat till the economy picked up..( 2013) ........Now I'm back to my misc. steel business w/ 1.5 mill. Of work booked for next year..... In "09" I couldn't buy a misc. steel job.....
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-13-2015 02:11
Glad to see you are doing good Bob !! I am going to get my CWI and to Hell with them Rigs !
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 10-14-2015 03:23
Hell, with your money I figured you finally retired !!!!!!!!! Good for you getting into inspections...... You ever need help in the " area" let me know.....Working for you was a enjoyable/ memorable experience dude......You can always count on me for help......:cool:
- By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-05-2015 12:08
I don't think there will be another direct energy boom in the foreseeable future. I say foreseeable as no one can say how many, and to what extent, the latest energy regs will carry forward. By Feb 2016 we will have a clue, but not before.

In the meantime, I would suggest picking up some language skills as there are parts of the world where a boom will happen once their current bust settles.

My .02 worth
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / please help