Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Accredited Test Facility Audit
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-29-2015 12:33
Has anyone gone through the ATF audit and have some experiences they want to share regarding situations that they maybe were not expecting ?

We are having ours this coming Friday and am looking forward to it. My audit "experiences" in the past sometimes showed great variations between both individual auditors for the same company (Different Projects requiring new audits but with the same audit plan), and with different companies using the same project specifications (building products for the same end user but through different companies).

Anyway, any feed back is appreciated.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2015 13:00
Don't forget your wallet :)

I'm actually very interested in your experience...   Good luck with the audit and please, please come back soon and tell us about your experience.

Oh,,, and doughnuts... Lot's of doughnuts.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-29-2015 19:17
We have already had the wallet dented:). I will let all know how it goes. I do love audits.

I have a pretty lengthy quality manual that I prepared that I think is more than was needed based upon a conversation with the auditor so I will see how that goes.

Gonna let one of my current students do a flat GMAW Groove weld test as a demo. He will have 40 hours of training and be an "AWS Certified Welder". Something to think about :).

Doughnuts, Hmmmm.
Attachment: WelderCertificationGA2_17_15.zip - A copy of a ppt presentation I made regarding "CERTIFICATION". message me if you want the .ppt (592k)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2015 19:51
That is a very complete presentation !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-30-2015 01:04
I like it!

Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-03-2015 02:09
The audit went very well. Tim Gary was able to come administer a test to one of my students while I reviewed the audit checklist with the auditor.

The checklist in my opinion could stand some revision. A reference to the applicable documented requirements within  the QC4 standard would be good. There are a few redundant items.

The auditor was thorough and experienced with the testing and certification of welders.  I have a few editorial changes to make to a couple of forms and quality control procedures, submit them, and we are gonna just be waiting on AWS to send us our notification. There were no discrepancies noted .

All in all, very little changes about how I test welders in the lab other than the additional AWS paperwork and their poorly designed WPQR form.

Tim tested one of my students on a GMAW 1G plate IAW D1.1 and he passed so that was really the high point for my day.

Have a good day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-03-2015 18:06
Nice!

Al
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-05-2015 12:14
Great job Gerald!
I'm sure it was a breath of fresh air for the Auditor to deal with someone as well prepared as you and your facility.

Tim
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Accredited Test Facility Audit