Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Clause 7
- - By js55 (*****) Date 10-07-2015 18:25
Am I given to understand correctly that Clause 7 is written in a manner that section 7.9 is simply a way of not having to perform pretesting each and every day/shift, whereas without this 'prequalification' you are required to perform pretesting?
And therefore, there is no actual requirement for procedure qualification other than the pretesting?
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 10-07-2015 19:06
I'll put in my two cents as it's just my interpretation and I'll probably be corrected here shortly.

I feel 7.9 is a way for manufactures to stay honest to table 7.1 and 7.3. They have to make sure that the product is meeting the minimum standard.

In a shop environment, I shoot studs per 7.6.6 to create a WPS and welder PQR if needed. After that as far as production I resort to 7.7 which does have stipulations as far as start of shift requirements.

That is just my understanding and interpretation, I may have been doing a lot of extra work this whole time, but I've always been comfortable with it. Testing two studs at the start of shift usually doesn't take that long.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-07-2015 19:15
msharitt,
I went back and did some more reading. I had completely misunderstood.
7.2.4 puts the onus on the manufacturer. I am attempting to acquire the data.
And I would agree on 7.6.6 and 7.7. That's the way I read it too.
thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Clause 7