Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Terminology
- - By tp49er Date 10-08-2015 15:06
Can someone please explain the term suitcases
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-08-2015 16:53
If you are speaking of a reference such as a "suitcase" welder, that might actually be more correct if it was referred to as a "suitcase" feeder. This essentially means that the feeder is separate from the welding power source and is designed in such a way that the feed mechanism and the wire spool are "internally" mounted and protected by a "suitcase" type of enclosure.

There are a couple of welding set-ups that were actually designed similar to the feeder that I have described above and they actually included the power source inside as well. I believe that Miller and possibly Lincoln are the manufacturers of these. I am only personally familiar with Miller one. They are generally of a lighter duty design and capacity. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By tp49er Date 10-08-2015 17:27
Thanks Alan, it is what I have been used to in the UK , I just had not heard it reffered to as suitcase, much obliged Tom
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-08-2015 18:20
Okay Tom, so how are they referred to "across the pond", no disrespect implied. It's my curiosity that's that's making me wonder from our position over here. I'm trying to stay informed. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2015 22:41
Come'on Allan, it's a welder bonnet.

I probably shouldn't have said that but just had to.

I also am interested Tom, How do they reference them in the UK?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-09-2015 00:16
Okay Brent, since you commented. Didn't you spend some time over in Great Britain not too long ago? You should probably have all of the lingo down by heart now, right?......... I will be curious to see what sort of description the Tom has applied to this. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-09-2015 00:44 Edited 10-09-2015 23:00
North central around Bradford.  Bolling Hall, our namesake.  Self car toured all through the area going to several castles from Scarborough on the east to areas along the west coast.  Beautiful country.  Great people.  Week and a half there and 5 days in Ireland.

Trying to understand their form of 'English' when being slightly hard of hearing anyway was a challenge.  Most of them spoke very softly.  Thank goodness I had my wife and our youngest son along. 

I am definitely not an expert on their word usage.  Some descriptions still throw me for a loop. 

The trip to the east coast of the USA we just got back from, saw original family plantation, Kippax Plantation, SE of Richmond in Hopewell dating from the mid 1600's and Bolling Island plantation west of Richmond, in Goochland, Virginia, house built in 1770's.  Robert Bolling took his bride, Jane Rolfe (granddaughter of Pocahontas) to Kippax to live.  They are buried there. 

Anyway, off hijack.

Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-10-2015 12:15
I am well familiar with the term 'suitcase'! It's used as much as in the USA at least in constuction.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 10-09-2015 19:41
There are two types of suitcase feeders. The most common that is referred is the arc voltage controlled/voltage sensing feeder that can be used with either the constant current or constant voltage welding power source. The arc voltage is sensed through a work connection.
The other is a feeder that requires 24, 42 or 120 volt from a control cable from the welding power source.
The arc voltage controlled  feeder does not weld GMAW short circuit metal transfer very well with a constant current welding power source.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Terminology