Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Code for DOT
- - By jhall773 Date 10-14-2015 13:37
I have a few projects coming up for a trucking company and i was asked to weld two cracks on a truck frame he uses for heavy hauling. I was curious if there were any codes i may need to follow in order to cover myself. Any Ideas???
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2015 14:49 Edited 10-14-2015 14:55
To the best of my knowledge, there are no federal requirements other than to follow the manufacture's "Upbuilding" requirements. You can contact the manufacturer of the truck frame and purchase their "Upbuilding" specification. It will provide guidance for welding to their truck frames, i.e., how to mount dump bodies, boxes, etc.

If you do not follow the manufacturer's guild lines you are in violation of federal laws.

Generally, the truck frames are quenched and tempered high strength steel. It isn't advised to weld between the front and read outer most spring hangers.

I know fabricators frequently extend or shorten truck frames, but it isn't recommended. It is amazing how often things are done that are not recommended or allowed, but still it flies down the interstate at breakneck speed without mishap. All is good until one does fail and someone is injured or worse. Then all hell breaks loose.

One of my more recent court cases involved five new truck that were modified by the dealership. My client saw the modified frames and raised an issue. We got five new trucks as a settlement. I often wonder who the dealership sold the old frames to.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-14-2015 14:58
Ok Al, a little off topic here, but I just have to ask, how many miles were on the original trucks? Depending on that answer, this client might have just gotten a lot of "free" truck use, if you know what I mean. LOL! Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2015 15:07
These were brand new cab and chassis. They never saw road service. The dealer mounted the dump bodies and snowplows. The issues were related to the welding associated with the snowplow mounts.

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-14-2015 16:50
Ok Al, after reading your post a little more closely I should have caught that. Ah Hah.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Code for DOT