Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flare bevel wps
- - By Phalen (*) Date 11-06-2015 20:18
I got a flat plate that welds to a 4" dia round column.  Is a flare bevel weld like this pre-qualified?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-06-2015 22:03
The weld is a fillet weld. It is prequalified.

Al
Parent - - By Phalen (*) Date 11-07-2015 14:39
I thought that was called a flare bevel?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-07-2015 17:31
Here's a second view.

Al
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 11-07-2015 17:53
Al,

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it the proportions that make it a flare-bevel? The one you shown is a fillet due to the thickness of the plate and how little of an arc length it's covering correct?

If the plate was flat on the 4' pipe would that create a flare bevel? I'm no artist but here is an end view of what I'm talking about. I'm just curious for my own future endeavors.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-07-2015 18:02 Edited 11-07-2015 18:04
A third view ?

Opps  Michael S. beat me  :)
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 11-07-2015 18:15 Edited 11-07-2015 18:19
Haha, both of you beat ME to it and I couldn't even provide a graphic.  That's obviously a flare bevel but what about Al's scenario with the plate butted to the pipe?  Surely there's a cut-off where the fillet becomes a groove...
- By In Tension (**) Date 11-07-2015 18:14
Definitely depends on the thickness of the plate and diameter of pipe.  I'm not sure at what point it would cease being a skewed fillet and become a flared bevel.  Perhaps when the gap becomes too large to make up for with increased fillet size, due to the pipe radius?
I think a top view of the joint would be more instructional.  I need to learn to CAD better.  I used to use Turbocad to sketch vessels/tanks for inspection reports but it was always cumbersome and I never became any good at it.
- By msharitt (**) Date 11-07-2015 18:41 Edited 11-07-2015 19:00
A quick search and Brent has explained this before to an extent. I have to agree with how he stated it whether or not it's a flare bevel or not.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=34306
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2015 19:25
Isn't it amazing how we all 'see' something different when we read a description of what is taking place? :confused:

Great answers all around but without further explanation or a picture from the OP it will be difficult to tell.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-07-2015 23:55 Edited 11-09-2015 05:39
I had hoped the original poster would get off his butt and tell us exactly what he meant. But, what the hell, garbage in, garbage out. One really needs a sense of humor to play in this sandbox.;)

I assumed we were looking at a plate butted up to the pipe as depicted in the sketch. I also expanded the sketch to include section A-A which depicts both my configuration and the configuration many of the responders assumed was applicable.

I included the size limitation contained in clause 2. The size of the flare groove weld assumes the weld is flush with the round edge (pipe). The size of the weld is reduced by the under fill "U" dimension. So, if the pipe lies on the plate, a flare bevel groove is appropriate. The weld size can be less than 5/16 x R as long as the minimum size requirements of Table 3.5 are met.

However, if the plate is butted against the pipe, as I initially depicted, there is no way it can be considered to be a flare bevel unless the edges of the plate are intentionally rounded. If the plate is rounded to a radius T/2, where T is thickness of the plate, the size of the flare bevel groove weld would be limited to (5/16 x T)/2 provided the welding process is either SMAW or FCAW-S. Assuming the edges of the plate are rounded and the plate is 1/2 inch thick, the maximum weld size permitted (prequalified) per side would be 0.078 inch. That would be less than the minimum permitted by Table 3.5, i.e. a violation of the conditions for prequalification. That would support the notion that fillet welds are applicable. Figure C-4.1 also supports the configuration I depicted is a fillet weld.

What I didn't include was the plate welded to the end of the pipe as it would appear if it was used as a column. I figured that configuration is a "no brainer."

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flare bevel wps