Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 6G welder qualification test
- - By Hurt991 Date 12-15-2015 15:46
Hello,
I have a question regarding a 6G welder qualification test to D1.1. the WPS and PQR states the welding progression as up. To me this would mean that you would weld in the uphill direction on both sides of the pipe. However the quality manager is the one that wrote them, gave the test and sent them out for testing. He says they must run all the way around the pipe without stopping in one pass. So maybe an error by stating welding progression as up hill. My question would be is it even possible to run up and downhill on the same test piece, if so is there any reason why it would have to be done in one continues pass if we are not doing it in production. He did have it sent out and tested with RT, bend and tensile tested since it is GMAW-S.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 12-15-2015 19:11
I would say your Quality Manager has grossly mis-interpreted the D1.1 standard.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-15-2015 19:59
All the way around in one pass without stopping????
BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
If you have welders that have done that, they are not qualified.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2015 22:55
To answer your question, yes, it's possible to weld both up and down on the same test piece.

Is it possible without stopping and resetting the machine with GMAW-S.  Very doubtful.  No change in settings to go from an up to a down pass?  :confused: :eek:  :lol: :lol:

Someone is blowing smoke...no wait, you aren't in CO are you because it actually sounds more likely someone is smoking whacky tobaccy.  Stay clear or you may be overcome with the second hand smoke.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-16-2015 11:58
Also watch that RT on short circuiting GMAW.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-16-2015 13:43
Sometimes if you are around the industry long enough you will hear the funniest shyt.
Parent - By willseals (*) Date 12-16-2015 18:31
Kudos for picking that one up! :)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-16-2015 21:53
Kent will jump in here
head first with no idea of temp or depth of the water:eek::surprised::wink:
old time stuff NO way!!!!!!!!!!!
new stuff, with gun switches and foot pedals to adjust wire feed, volts, amps
possible
but that is multi tasking to the limit
way better than most on manual, robotic is better
but still, multi task, to the limit
CNC after you have it set best choice
ask Larry, above my pay grade
but as far as manual
Sourdough can do it....says he is the best:eek::surprised::roll:
most of the rest of us, too tough
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 6G welder qualification test