Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / B5.1
- - By js55 (*****) Date 01-19-2016 16:02
Can someone explain to me the independent use of AWS B5.1 for qualification of inspectors?
As I understand it this is a process not unlike employer qualification of NDE personnel per TC-1A.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2016 02:29
B5.1 is the qualification document the defines the requirements that have to met by a candidate seeking certification by his or her employer. The contractor (employer) would develop a certification program where qualifications per the requirements of B5.1 must be met.

The candidate is required to pass the requisite examinations, developed by the contractor, to demonstrate proficiency. If the candidate meets the qualification requirements, he is certified by the contractor. It is very similar to qualifying and certifying welders in-house using ASME Section IX is the governing document. 

The examinations would include questions from each subject group, a hands-on practical examination would require the candidate to evaluate (correctly) several weld specimens that contain various defects and discontinuities and the candidate would be tested on his or her ability to navigate a code (the one used by the contractor in day to day operations would be reasonable) by answering specific question based on the code.

As noted, it is much like the methodology described by SNT-TC-1A and similar to the CWI, but it is entirely an employer based certification that would not be transferrable to a new employer. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-21-2016 13:04
Thanks Al.
I thought it was such.
I have actually never qualified per B5.1.
I am putting together a program right now.
We are seeing more D1.8 stuff and my plan is to use this qual instead of CWI's.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2016 00:27
I believe there is a B5.2 document intended for use as an in-house certification for welding inspectors that have "limited" responsibilities. The training requirements are less rigorous and the qualification/certification process is not as involved.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-22-2016 13:00
For my purposes 5.2 would be a good stepping stone and work for most of our applications on our structural side. However D1.8 states explicitly 5.1, so at least in those applications I am stuck.
thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / B5.1