Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What AWS Code/Standard details Welder Certification Renewal?
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 02-10-2016 10:21
Hey All,

Through my time with D1.1 and going through an ATF for my past certifications, now comes the time where I'd like to make sure I'm still with the times in what needs to be done in order to renew a Welder Certification through the AWS.

For sure, the AWS has a few pages online to discuss these items:
http://www.aws.org/certification/Documents
http://www.aws.org/certification/ProfessionalCertifications
And a few others, but occasionally I've had question that come up in ways that make me question what I had known in the past.

Ex. Welder Certification Renewal: FIll out the required form testifying that the PROCESS was used within the last 6 months (does the position really not matter?)

Thoughts, ideas, exclamations?

Thank you all!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-10-2016 12:46
http://www.aws.org/certification/detail/certified-welder-program has a button on the page for renewal and the applicable form.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2016 17:11
Bowler Hat,

No, the position does not matter, the materials do not matter.  If you, or whoever, qualified to SMAW then that is all that is needed for verification, use of the SMAW process within the past six months. 

You can lay a plate down flat on the table and run a couple inches of weld and say you used the process.

Now, PERSONALLY, I like to see more than that, but it is not code mandated and as long as the skills needed when work does present itself indicate sound welds then inspectors have no cause for questioning the qualification record and requesting a re-test.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 02-10-2016 18:00
Thank you for that. That's what I found myself saying...just wanted a sanity check. Cheers!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-10-2016 18:33
Not trying to hijack, BUT?
If a welder has no documented welding (aint struck an arc) in say 7 months then would he not have to completely requalify in position, process and material as would a new hire?
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 02-10-2016 18:48
From my understanding, they WOULD have to completely re qualify. If this isn't so, I'm sure there'll be a load of pots coming in.
From aws.org: "Your certification remains valid as long as you submit your certification maintenance forms every six months as required by the Code of Acceptance that governed your test. As long as you can have it verified on the maintenance form that you are still performing the same welding as you originally tested for, your certification remains in effect."
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-10-2016 18:50
4.24.1.3 Retest After Lapse of Qualification Period
of Effectiveness.
When a welder’s or welding operator’s
qualification period of effectiveness has lapsed, a requalification
test shall be required. Welders have the option of
using a test thickness of 3/8 in [10 mm] to qualify any
production welding thickness greater than or equal to
1/8 in [3 mm].
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-11-2016 18:05
Thank you Lawrence and Bowler Hat.
I will sleep better tonight knowing I was right... as always... most of the time!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-11-2016 19:33
How were you right ?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-12-2016 04:42
Lawrence,
I retested a welder on 3/8 plate and bent the straps.
He had no documentation of having welded far in excess of 6 months.
Was a guided bend not required?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-12-2016 12:05
Sure, but in your first question you said " like a new hire"

A 3/8 test qualifying for unlimited thickness is not how a new hire is tested :)

See I actually paid attention to your words! :)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-12-2016 19:20
True.
Is "Half Right" better than Half Wrong?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2016 20:22
That depends upon if your cup is half full or half empty?

:eek:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2016 21:12
Just remember, the Engineer is the individual that accepts previous qualification or can require the welder to requalify on a project by project basis.

A certification issued by AWS does not have to accepted by the Owner or the Owner's Engineer. Acceptance is not absolute even when AWS D1.1 is the governing welding standard.

There are several short comings with the AWS certification, one being ASME requires the employer to qualify and certify the welders that are their employees. The exception is when the welders are qualified and several employers are present to witness the welding and evaluation of the test coupon and test results. Qualification by an ATF and AWS, without the test being supervised by the employer, is not acceptable per ASME Section IX. Nor is the qualification transferrable to a new employer when ASME is the governing document. Likewise, the employer has to qualify the welder and sign the performance report when testing to NAVSEA standards or API.

In my opinion, AWS' advertisement is false and misleading.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-12-2016 22:11
I believe there are some exceptions to acceptance of qualification performed by others in B31.3. I'd have to look it up.

Recently tested quite a few welders for a project local to here and explained to them that statement in Sec IX regarding qualification. They and the end user accepted supervision from our testing facility. No ATF requirement either.

Hope all is well.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What AWS Code/Standard details Welder Certification Renewal?