Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Some weld terminology help please.
- - By THANATOS (*) Date 10-06-2004 01:46
I just put up a poster showing different weld defects. It shows a weld with poor wetting at the toes. A co-worker asked me what wetting was,and I understand the term,but don't know how to explain it. Can anyone give me a good definition? Thank-you!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-06-2004 03:23
The three sources I checked all defined wetting as "The phenomenon whereby a liquid filler metal or flux spreads and adheres in a thin continuous layer on a solid base metal". I'm just curious, how does the poster describe wetting? A cold roll (overlap) situation?
Parent - By THANATOS (*) Date 10-06-2004 04:34
Thirdeye,thanks for the reply. The term came off a Miller poster under the heading of travel problems. It says: travel to fast, narrow bead, & poor wetting at toes. I understand what they're getting at in my head, but I'm not the best at explaining ideas. It show a very thin erratic bead that does'nt look to have much penetration.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-06-2004 11:46
When a bead (puddle) "wets in" it makes a smooth transition from filler to base material with minimal under cutting or cold lap.

In other words all parameters (volts, amps & speed) are correct.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-06-2004 12:08
Ron's got it. That how I would describe it.
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-08-2004 13:41
The examples I use to illustrate 'wetting' is to think of drops of water on the hood of a car. If the paint is beat up and has not been waxed for a long time, the water will wet out. If the wax is fresh, the water will bead up and not wet out very well.
Moltel metal from welding acts in similar manner. If the metal does not wet out well, there is a good chance of lack of fusion, overlap, and other problems. The puddle needs to flow where you want it to go.

You could get into surface tension and all that goes with that subject, but this should give you the 'nuts n bolts'.
Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Some weld terminology help please.