Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / STUDENT NEEDS HELP! with (PQR) and (WPS)
- - By JOEBP Date 10-10-2004 03:20
Can somone please explain in plain english (PQR) and the difference between (PQR) and (WSP). This text book has got pullin my friggin hair out!

I need help! :)
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-10-2004 09:41
The WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) is the document that would contain the parameters for making a given weld. The PQR (Procedure Qualification record) is the record of the actual parameters used to weld a test sample to qualify a WPS. The PQR also contains the test results forbends, tensiles, marcoetch etc.

Have a good day

GA
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/

Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 10-10-2004 15:16
I might add that a PQR is usually required on the first time a given procedure is performed. Let say you have a contract where you are going to need to weld 276 Hastelloy. Some one develops a WPS so a welder can perform a weld (on that material). The welder makes the weld according to the welding specification procedure.
The sample weld is then given to a lab where tests are performed on the weld sample to see if the mechanical properies of the weld fall within the range of the base material. Thus a procedure qualification report is then generated and assuming all the testing (of the welded sample) follows the criterion of the base material you now have a valid WPS for 276 Hastelloy.
The welder who performed the original WPS on 276 Hastelloy is now certified on that material (using that WPS) and any welder(thereafter) who needs to be qualified on 276 Hastelloy simply has to use that original WPS and the welded sample may be radiographed or a guided-bend test may be performed to certify the welder(s).
In other words, the PQR is what is used to qualify a WPS. Once a WPS is accepted (per PQR) then it does not need to be performed again for that particular WPS.
I hope this explantion helps.
Parent - By JOEBP Date 10-10-2004 18:30
Thanks alot guys, that is alot more helpful than the textbook
I think i'm starting to understand now.

Thanks, JOE :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / STUDENT NEEDS HELP! with (PQR) and (WPS)