Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weaves vs. Stringers vs. Pulsing
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 03-31-2016 16:08 Edited 03-31-2016 21:27
A question a friend of mine had I thought I would get on here and ask for him.  I live in southern California and here we have a massive racing community, a lot of it is off road racing, high speed desert stuff.  When we build tube chassis's we use .125' wall 1-3/4" Chromoly tubing or up to 2" depending on the size of the truck or buggy and the class or sanction it is racing in.  Now when it comes to the welding of these vehicles the world has began to shift a change.  With the release of the dynasty which is mostly prevalent in shops out here, pulsing has become the new way to weld and show off how clean the work is.  Now personally I think it is the way the less skilled GTAW welder pretends to have skills but hey that just me.  Anyways the question was asked what is stronger?  A weave or a stringer when it comes to a tube on tube weld like a T, K or Y connection.  Now think ROLL CAGE work because that's what were talking here.  The other comment/question is related to the pulsing.  Now one giant off road company know for their high quality welding has been revealed that they weld the root and use plenty of filler, then they go back over it with the pulse on and using two hands on the torch pulse in the "dime stack" look and pattern.  The question is, does re welding over a weld change the strength? and does weaving.. add any strength beyond being over the size of the wall thickness?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

EXAMPLE of weave that has been done without filler over an existing weld  -------> http://imgur.com/a/lIJtk

Jordan
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 03-31-2016 18:20
I say they are overdoing the heat input by "going back" without filler just to make the weld look pretty.  I believe that too many, skilled and un-skilled alike, put too much emphasis on the stacked dime look.
Also, how much, if any, stronger  can one make .125" wall tubing by adding more weld?

Griff
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 03-31-2016 19:25
I would totally agree with you on the idea of dime stacks.  Regarding how much weld though a lot of time there is a long taper on the cages from say the roof to the main body line and it will have say a 30 degree or more long notch that transitions from a groove to a fillet weld.  where the groove begins I could see how a wider weld would add to the strength bit it might be a little over kill.

check this album again I added more what I am talking about
http://imgur.com/a/lIJtk
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 04-01-2016 06:48
Wow...those are very nice!  :grin:
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 04-01-2016 14:12
Those are very appealing to the eye!!  I understand what you're saying about the transitions from groove to fillet.  I'm still concerned about the extra heat input from "washing" the welds. 

Griff
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-31-2016 19:29 Edited 03-31-2016 20:06
So you finally hit a subject I know something about! :razz:

My son and I had a mountain buggy business here in PA for two years building 4 banger VW powered 2332's that ran on CAM2 and Nitro methane. Test ran them at the coal waste hills at Treverton and Minersville PA.

Our buggies saw a lot more abuse on coal mine roads, rock fields etc than the normal sand buggy sees.  What we found was the more you put weld on the tubing, the more it was at risk of breaking.  We used a special tubing notch cutter (sort of a belt sander inside) to make nice tight coped joints, thus there was not much of a need to fill large gaps.  We always used the weave method.   We would take the buggies out, beat the Pi** out of em and see what broke.   I would much rather have a somewhat ugly weld that held up, than something pretty that broke and ruined a day out (not counting towing time).  Somewhere I have pictures and there is a YouTube video.  Will look for them when I have some time.

Don't over think it.  If you have two buggies sitting at a show, one is all nice and clean with pretty welds and spiffy paint job, and the other is covered with mud and coal dust and it looks like it took a beating...that's the one folks crowd around.

Edited to add:  We used a Systematics "Fender Mender" MIG.  Nothing fancy.  It was old and used when we got it (10-15 years ago) and we still use it.
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 04-01-2016 15:52
Adding link to Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-6zEb9Icc
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-01-2016 20:59
Thats pretty cool!

J
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weaves vs. Stringers vs. Pulsing