Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What type of jobs can I get with a 3G/4G SMAW certificate ?
- - By lit_man Date 05-28-2016 18:10
hey there I just recently received by certification in 3G & 4G arc welding. I really don't have much experience other then the hours I spent in the booth. I am curious what type of jobs I would be able to get that are more on an entry level/apprentice ship level. I am more than happy to grind and rake slag until I pay my dues. I just fear my lack of experience other than being able to weld in those positions is going to hurt me. cheers
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-28-2016 19:08
Welding "Certifications" don't get you jobs. Welding skills do. Having the ability to complete "on demand" a welder qualification test is a key part of obtaining employment as a welder. Though many jobs may require all position plate qualification tests be performed prior to hiring, the test positions you list only cover a small part of the story.

For example, the process you use, base metal, thickness, backing, progression etc... are all part of the variables for which you were tested.

Your ability to weld will be better represented by the work you do once hired vs. your ability to pass a test. If for instance all of your welding in school was standing at a booth and you never ran a 1/8" 7018 in a tee joint sitting on the floor, your abilities may be challenged on your first job.

We all had to gain "experience". I cannot speak for the large group of knowledgeable and skilled craftsman on this forum, but as for myself, in my 35 years as a welder, the only time I ever gave a copy of a welder qualification test (certification papers) to someone for work was when I went into the boilermaker apprentice program.

If your only skill is stick welding with 7018, then maybe look for local maintenance/repair companies who perform some welding to get started. In addition, larger construction projects often hire laborers or helpers. have on your resume that you have completed whatever test it is (list more than the test position) and have the papers ready to back it up.

Here is something worth a read maybe. https://app.aws.org/mwf/attachments//38/267938/CertifiedWelderpublic.zip

There is no piece of paper as valuable as your ability to weld good. Use it as a basis to establish communication with a possible employer but always be prepared to show your skills.

Also, understand that my opinion is based upon my limited experiences in the industry sectors I have worked in. There are companies that think the "certification" is all they need to do good welding. I won't work for those companies. If they don't need too test me, they don't need my skills !
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What type of jobs can I get with a 3G/4G SMAW certificate ?