Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PQR WPS Qualification
- - By ryanvg42 Date 06-03-2016 02:08
WPS/PQR are a little confusing.

Why do welders have to qualify a welding procedure for ASME Sec. 9 and AMSE B31.3. 

So john doe has

WPS 3160 (B31.3)
WPS 3160  (IX)

Why can there not just be one procedure to cover the welder.  For some reason I can not understand this.

Can anyone explain  Thanks
Parent - By weldnote (*) Date 06-07-2016 13:37
Hello ryan, I believe I can help you in this regard

John Doe should never be qualified to ASME B31.3, as that is not a welding qualifications standard ( it is a product standard which references ASME IX for qualifications on welding)

What John Doe should have, is the following:

WPS 3160 (ASME IX supplemented by ASME B31.3) which will then qualify:
PQR 3160 (ASME IX supplemented by ASME B31.3) which leads to the welder having a certificate:
WPQ 3160 (ASME IX supplemented by ASME B31.3).

These WPS, PQR and WPQ will then allow John Doe to weld any ASME IX project within the approval ranges of those documents.

However, if you get a new project that goes under ASME VIII, there are chances that your client will want you to have a procedure for ASME IX supplemented by ASME VIII, which could nullify your WPS 3160 (ASME IX + B31.3).

This is done frequently even for nuclear purposes (ASME IX + ASME III and ISO 15614-1 + R-CCM 2000), you should be clear with your notified body about this situation.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-07-2016 18:46
1 )  Performance Qualification and Procedure Qualification ranges are separate.

A welder takes a test following a procedure. That procedure may be qualified to be used on production welds that may be outside of the range the welder is qualified for. In addition, the welder (after taking a test using the ranges on the WPS) may be qualified to weld on production welds that are outside the range of qualification for the welding procedure.

2) Welders do not "Qualify a procedure"
A welder may perform the welding to qualify the procedure. The organization usually has the responsibility for qualifying the procedure.

3) When verifying the ranges of qualification for a welder, Only those ranges apply that are listed in the respective code.

4) When verifying the ranges of qualification for the procedure, only the ranges apply that are listed in the respective code.

5) When verifying the ranges of qualification for a production weld both 3 and 4 must be valid however the "WPS" to be used does NOT need to be referred to on the referred to on the welder performance qualification record.

6) A code of construction (B31.3) may refer to another code or standard (ASME Sec IX) for qualification for performance and procedures but may take exception to or make additions to those rules.

I suggest looking at the applicable articles in Sec IX regarding qualifcation of welders and procedures.

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PQR WPS Qualification