Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPQR from AWS certified test facility or previous employment
- - By NathanB52 Date 06-10-2016 14:43
Hello, I have two (2) questions that I can't confidently answer, that I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on.

If a fabricator wanted to use a pre qualified SMAW WPS and their welders have passed a test with a certification card that shows it was conducted IAW Clause 4 part C of D1.1:2010. Can they work under the new Prequalified procedures of their new employers PWPS or do they have to re qualify using the new PWPS welding conditions, even if they are within the limitations of the essential variables of their current certification?

And if they are "AWS Certified" in a process (SMAW 6G) don't they still have to test to the employers WPS, even if they are within the limitations of the Welder Performance Essential Variables?

Thank you!

Nathan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2016 15:20
Welder performance qualification test records *may* be accepted by "The Engineer"  See AWS D1.1 2015 Clause 4.2.2.1

Having said that...  In my opinion it is unwise to put a welder into production if they have not been tested and qualified by the manufacturer.  

The welders "old cert" is a good way for them to get their foot into the door and land a job/test.  But too many problems can occur if a person is put into production via trust in a piece of paper they have in hand when they knock on your door.
Parent - By NathanB52 Date 06-10-2016 15:30
Thank you! I can't believe I didn't read under Part A....Thank you for your help!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-11-2016 22:23
Welders do not have to "test to" a specific WPS. There is a WPS used during testing but it may or may not be one used for production. It may only be for the test assemblies.

The acceptability of a welder qualification record is up to the engineer and welders who have met the applicable requirements for testing at a test facility should have also met the requirements for the code referred to on the supplied documentation.

However they may NOT have met the requirements of the company or project if their requirements exceed those of the code. In some cases the code requirements are very liberal compared to the requirements of organizations who have "engineered" more restrictive requirements into their testing program.

Their is "code compliance" and their are "quality systems" and sometimes a companies quality systems and policies may exceed those of a referenced code so don't be surprised if additional testing is required. That testing may or may not be required by contract documents.

Above are opinions based on limited experience though!

Have a great day.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPQR from AWS certified test facility or previous employment