Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Online Training - Review
- - By HJLBX Date 06-20-2016 05:15
The online training is essentially the same as all the other AWS materials I have used.

1.  Multiple errors in given formulas
2.  Errors in answers to multiple choice questions (correct answer isn't there)
3.  Some functionality in the courses does not work correctly

That being said, will it help to prepare for the CWI exam ?

The Fabrication Math I & II covers basic mathematics from grammar through middle school.  There are word problems - so it can help someone get into that frame of mind dealing with word problems.

The Metallurgy covers basic science - and probably is a good review\reinforcement of what is given in the WIT textbook.

The Welding Fundamentals, Metallurgy, Welding Symbols, Science of NDT and Safety in Welding are basic reviews of the WIT textbook.

Each module has a pre-quiz, interactive quizzes and a final exam.

The questions are simple multiple choice - and probably reflective of the easiest type of question asked on the actual CWI exam.

Each module takes about 10 hours to complete.

I would say they are all of some value, but as far as being a direct-line to passing the CWI exams - I think not...

Are they worth the cost ?

I only purchased the online courses because AWS requires it in order to receive the textbooks prior to the seminar.

On the whole, I think they help reinforce material already in the WIT - and then - only to a limited extent.

Some people might get a lot out of it, others probably not...

They're just another available training resource.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-20-2016 13:55
Does the online course include instructor feedback/participation ?
Parent - By HJLBX Date 06-20-2016 17:54
I never used it, but one can contact "the instructor" - whomever that might be...
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-20-2016 18:11
There is NOT a direct line to passing the test that I know of. People learn differently. Some do good without any course, others may have to take multiple course to just get a passing score.

Online courses that do not allow communication with other participants and instructors in my opinion are just "presentations". That doesn't mean they aren't valuable, they just aren't courses.

Gerald
Parent - - By HJLBX Date 06-20-2016 18:42
Basically, if someone takes the on-line course without any prior knowledge on the subject matter - then the online courses will probably do little to help.  There is a lot of material covered.  And even if you pace yourself over the 3-months of access, there aren't enough practice questions to make all the information sink in permanently. Like all the topics covered in the WIT, it requires review, re-review, re-review, re-review... because there is simply too much information to memorize - even over 3 or 4 months.

If you have a solid foundation already in the material covered by the online courses, then it will reinforce what you already know -- and you'll probably learn tid-bits here and there.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-20-2016 18:55
I think any course with no prior knowledge is going to either 1) result in not passing or 2) result in passing but having little to no usable knowledge in the field.

I have often considered offering a welding inspector course but cannot offer it as a CWI course since I have never taken one. I think learning to be an inspector is much more valuable than "getting certified". If you do one, the other can be easy, if you do the the other, things can be difficult in the field.

A learning environment is which a student can interact with both the instructor and other students will stimulate learning better in my opinion. The online learning management systems such as Moodle or Claroline or others can be setup with forums in which students and instructors can interact.

Why a "time limit" would be placed on materials is beyond me but of course there is more to education than education.
Parent - By HJLBX Date 06-20-2016 19:28
The whole basis of AWS offering the online seminars is that the courses will adequately prepare the test taker to pass Part A

In, and of themselves, they will not.  Everything that one needs to pass part A is already in the WIT text.

Personally, I think the policy regarding the Seminar Week and the online courses is somewhat of a ploy to earn more money for AWS; you can get all the Seminar Week texts before the seminar only if you purchase the online seminars.

Also, you only get two chances to pass the final exam at the end of each course.  If you want the AWS certificate for the course (for PDHs), then you have to repurchase the course and re-take all of it.

The time limit of 3 months - I am not aware as to the rationale behind it.  I suppose it is meant to force the student to study the material.

On the whole - are the online courses a good thing - yes, but only if one does a lot of studying prior to, during and after...

That being said, my experience with online training is that - on the whole - it hasn't been a great experience.  There are a lot of problems.  There is no substitute for face-to-face interaction with a real expert.  I use the terminology "real expert" deliberately - because a CWI credential is not evidence of being a real expert.  I have asked different CWIs the same question - and each of them have given me different answers - and it turns out, in the end, none of the answers were correct.

There is a need in the marketplace for an extended CWI preparation course - similar to a college semester in length.  Or multiple courses that are a semester in length.  This is how most people get the best understanding and retain the information learned long-term.

I think the week-long seminars are worthless - unless one has truly studied and prepared themselves during the prior 6 to 12 months.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Online Training - Review