Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section IX, welding progression.
- - By Burley Date 03-11-2016 20:54 Edited 03-11-2016 21:14
I have been tasked with reviewing our Welder Qualification Records. My question is on welding progression. For GTAW, 6G groove welds on 1/2" sch 160 pipe the welding progression line has been marked N/A for some welders and Up for others. I found in section IX QW-401.3 supplementary essential variables,  "for example a change in welding process, uphill or down  (vertical)  welding etc".  QW-416 lists Up or Down as an essential variable. QW-405.4 (D) a change from vertical down to vertical up requires requalification. Is the opposite true?
Can both N/A and UP be correct? Is 6G, 45 deg. fixed considered a vertical weld? I guess I had three questions.
     Any help or direction would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-11-2016 21:15
Have a look at QW 461.1 for limits of positions as the axis changes. Part of a 6G coupon ARE vertical (Diagram Reference D and E).  Thus, if the test position is 6G, part of the weld is vertical if any of it falls within the axis and rotation of the weld.

Hope this helps you find your answer.

Have a great day,

Gerald Austin
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2016 23:44 Edited 03-13-2016 04:30
ASME; always, sometimes, maybe, or except. There is a reason for always, sometimes, maybe, or except.

To augment what Gerald has said:

Do not confuse procedure qualification with welder qualification. Article II addresses how the WPS is qualified and what information must be recorded on the PQR. A word of advice, record everything the welder does while welding the test coupon, progression, arc voltage, travel speed, ..... Everything. Article II is going to direct the reader to specific provisions in Article IV. Only the referenced provisions apply to the qualification of the WPS.

Welder performance qualification is a completely different animal. Article III tells the reader how to qualify the welder. As is the case in Article II, there are tables for each process and the table lists the variable that apply to welder performance qualification. The appropriate table (for the specific welding process) will refer the reader to specific clauses in Article IV. Once again, only the clauses referenced by the appropriate table apply.

That being said, while vertical progression may not be an essential variable for procedure qualification, it is an essential variable for welder performance qualification. There are exceptions (never forget what the letters ASME stand for), for instance if the WPS is for SAW, a welding process that isn't capable of welding vertical joints, the table for SAW in Article II (procedure qualification) isn't going to reference a provision in Article IV that addresses vertical progression. Likewise, because the welding operator cannot weld in the vertical position with SAW, there is no reference to vertical progression in the table located in Article III for an welding operator qualifying for SAW, nor is there a reference to a provision in Article IV regarding vertical progression (one cannot weld in the vertical using SAW).

Many people fail to understand how to read and apply the different Articles found in ASME Section IX. In brief:

Article I tells the reader who is responsible for qualifying the WPS, the welder, and welding operator. It also describes the different tests required and what the test results have to be to be accepted.

Article II tells the reader how to qualify the welding procedure specification (WPS), for each of the welding processes used to fabricate pressure vessels and pressure piping. There is a separate table listing the essential, supplementary essential variables, and nonessential variables, for each welding process. However, one must also review the appropriate construction code (Section I, Section VIII, B31.3, etc.) to determine if the construction code has imposed additional requirements, i.e., post weld heat treatment, notch toughness, etc.

Article III tells the reader how to qualify the welder or the welding operator.  There is a separate table listing the essential variables for the welder performance qualification for each welding process. However, one must also review the appropriate construction code (Section I, Section VIII, B31.3, etc.) to determine if the construction code has imposed additional requirements or limitations. An example of a restriction imposed by the construction; B31.3 for high pressure fluid service, the welder must be qualified by guided bend tests, i.e., qualification by RT is not acceptable. 

Article IV Weld Data, the individual provisions are read only when referenced by Article I, II, or III.

Article V addresses SWPSs and the individual construction code specifies when and what SWPSs can be used. Keep in mind the SWPS is not qualified for PWHT or notch toughness and have to be used as published, i.e., if the SWPS states the root pass is deposited using GTAW and intermediate beads deposited by SMAW, that what must be done, no changes.

Articles XI, XII, XIII, XIV address brazing.

Hope this helps.

Al
Parent - - By Don56 (**) Date 03-16-2016 20:07
Nice summary, Al.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-16-2016 20:13
Thanks Don.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-29-2016 22:35
Cannot overemphasize the importance of what Al summarizes so nicely.  Never forget or lose track of what part of ASME IX you're working in.  Not all essential variables line up nicely and the ones in performance qualification don't always apply to procedure qualification and vice versa and supplemental essential variables apply ONLY when impact testing is required.
Parent - By waqasmalik (**) Date 06-23-2016 10:10
Very nice as always Al.

The new ASME section IX 2015 now has been divided into four parts.

QG: General requirements for material joining processes.
QW: General requirements for welding.
QB: General requirements for brazing.
QF: General requirements for plastic fusing operations.

Each part is divided into articles like before.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section IX, welding progression.