Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ANST Level II
- - By NEQA (**) Date 10-21-2004 17:29
One of my inspectors recently toured a foundry where all the welders had taken the 16-hour Level II PT Course. Although all the welders had passed the test, there is no documented experience levels for these individuals.

Is anyone familiar with the experience requirements for a Level II?
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-21-2004 21:20
The employer should have a written practice and this written practice will outline their particular requirements. The ASNT recommended practice No. SNT-TC-1A recommends (for a high school graduate) 4 hours of classroom training + 1 month experience for a Level I and 8 hours of classroom training + 2 months experience for a Level II. With 2 years of college in engineering or science, a Level II only needs 4 hours of classroom training + 2 months experience. Level I requirements are unchanged.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 10-22-2004 12:24
Thanks thirdeye - I note that the ASNT "recommends" a certain number of hours of experience - that is being interpreted as meaning there is no requirement. Agreed?
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-22-2004 14:55
Yes, the intent of the SNT-TC-1A document is a general framework for an employer based qualification and certification program and as such has no requirements. It is a recommended practice and not a specification. It must be noted however that certain contracts and/or customer requirements require programs which meet the intent of the SNT-TC-1A document.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ANST Level II