Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Inspection Services
- - By scanning Date 07-21-2016 11:52
Is there anywhere that I can find a list of people with CWI certification in my area.  We are an aerospace tube company and have an occasional need for a CWI to perform inspections.  We currently send these inspections out to a lab with a CWI but would prefer to have the inspections done in house.  I have tried to google "CWI weld inspection services" and many different variations of that search term and can't find anything.  We are located in Laconia, NH for reference.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-21-2016 13:03
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq97qtzoTOAhXBMz4KHaxyB58Q0gIIQygBMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aws.org%2Fcertification%2Fonlinecertificationverification&usg=AFQjCNGMxT68ZSPm9mmUkIFreMzzIP8pYA

Well, I was going to post a direct link to the certification page where you can search for CWIs in your area...but something is not working at AWS.org at the moment.
Parent - - By KBNY (**) Date 07-21-2016 13:25
There's a section to search for CWI's in a specific area? I'm not aware of this, nor can I find it. Please post a link when you can.

Thank you
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-21-2016 15:44
Sorry guys, I must have been thinking about the AISC website where you can search specific areas to find certified shops.
Parent - - By scanning Date 07-21-2016 13:43
This link seems to bring to a place to verify someones certification status.  I don't have any names to verify I am trying to find people in the new england area that we could bring in when needed.   Thank you for taking time to try and help me.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-21-2016 15:21
This may sound salty; but an aerospace tubing facility should have several people on staff that could/should be CWI's.   As you said you need "in-house" inspection, why not grow your own?

Also, your local AWS chapter should be a good place to network for CWI's
Parent - By scanning Date 07-21-2016 16:54
I agree with you 100%.  That is position I have been pushing with my CEO for a long time now.  Without getting into great detail we do a majority of our welding to customer specifications (Aerospace Primes) and they have approved our in house Weld Inspection Procedure/Training/Certification Program.  The need for an AWS certified CWI comes into play when we weld per AWS D17.1 which requires a CWI or to be approved through the prime.  The problem is the primes only approve CWI's to their specifications and not AWS D17.1. 

Long story short is that my CEO doesn't see the value in paying to send people to get the AWS CWI certfication because we only have a handful of jobs that we are not able to visually inspect ourselves.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-21-2016 15:47
I was mistaken. I don't see why AWS can't add that to their CWI search function, like the AISC does with theirs.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-21-2016 23:38
I get requests from people all the time who have googled 'CWI' or 'welding inspections' and the like.

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2016 03:07
AWS charges per name for a list of CWIs in a geographic area.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Inspection Services