Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPQR limitations on diameter and filler tensile strength.
- - By reddoggoose (**) Date 08-18-2016 19:53
Hi all,

Been a long time since I was on here, but I have a question I want to throw out. I have searched this forum and have found multiple responses for whether or not wire diameter is an essential variable for a WPQR. Now the typical response I have seen is people spouting off about how WPS and WPQR essential variables are different and shouldn't be confused. This is true. However, WPQR's are derived from a testing using an applicable WPS.

So here is where I would like some thoughts of others. In D1.1 Clause 4 Section C  4.21 PREPARATION OF PERFORMANCE QUALIFICATION FORMS (the issue I have in front of me is 2008 so a 2015 my be slightly different paragraph number) it states.

"The welding personnel shall follow a WPS applicable to the qualification test required.  All of the WPS essential variable limitations of 4.7 shall apply, in addition to performance essential variables of 4.22. The Welding Performance Qualification Record (WPQR) shall serve as written verification and shall list all of the applicable essential variables of Table 4.12."

The statement: ALL of the WPS essential variable limitations of 4.7 shall apply, in ADDITION to performance essential variables of 4.22.  To me , it sounds as if the WPS essential variable are in effect as well as the WPQR essential variables.

This same question could be raised with different tensile strength filler alloys as well.

Thoughts on this interpretation?
Parent - By KBNY (**) Date 08-19-2016 12:02
I'm reading D1.1 2010... it pretty much reads the same. I think your answer is right in the last sentence. The Welding Performance Qualification Record  (WPQR) shall serve as written verification and shall list all of the applicable essential variables of Table 4.12.

I read the first part of the paragraph as pertaining to the WPS that is to be followed for testing.
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-18-2016 22:53
Though the welder follows a WPS when testing, when they are done annd passed, they may use ANY WPS provided the production weld does not require them to weld outside their range of qualification.

The welder qualifies to weld on a production joint. He uses a WPS when testing that meets the requirements for trhe test joint. When he does a production weld, the WPS must be qualified for the production conditions and he must be qualiifed for the production conditions. The welder may or may not be qualified to weld within all of t he limits of the WPS. In addition, the WPS may not be qualified to do all of the conditions the welder can.

Hope this helps.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2016 22:45 Edited 08-19-2016 22:50
The welder qualification test record or the welder performance test record, which ever one prefers to call it must list the essential variables listed by the table you noted. That is, the WPTR must list the process, the product type, weld type, with or without backing, F number of the SMAW electrode, etc.

When welding the test coupon, the welder must follow a WPS and work within the parameters of the WPS. In some cases the WPS is written specifically for the welder performance test (my preference) or he must follow a WPS used for production welding. The latter is the least desirable because it may not be specific enough to define the test being taken. For example, the production WPS may be written to include groove details with a minimum groove angle of 20 degrees with a 3/8 root opening up to 75 degrees if the root opening is only 1/16 inch. The production WPS may include both grooves and fillet welds and 1/16 inch electrode up through and including 1/4 inch electrodes. The welding parameters may list the arc voltage as 18 through 32 volts, the amperage of 40 up through 400 amps, the travel speed of 2.5 through 14 ipm. It might list all F1, F2, F3, and F4 electrodes.

The boss hands the welder two plates and a backing bar and says weld these and follow the WPS. The welder looks around and says "WTF!" "What does he want me to do?"

The WPS isn't specific enough to provide the direction he needs to weld the test assembly. That's a failure on the part of management, not the welder.

As Gerald stated, once the welder is qualified, let's say for unlimited thickness using plate, in all positions, using F1 through F4. The WPS to be used for production may be limited to 3/4 inch thick base metal, only F3 electrode in the horizontal position, and only with 5/32 inch diameter electrode. That being the case, the welder must work within the constraints of the WPS. They WPS limits what the welder can weld, but when a different job is assigned to the welder using a different WPS, the constrains are those listed by the new WPS.

The only time the welder would have to be requalified is if the new WPS listed parameters that were not covered by his original welder qualification, i.e., the new work assignment involves welding with a different welding process or a product type that he isn't qualified for (he took a plate test and the job involves welding 2 inch NPS pipe), or an electrode with a different F number, perhaps F5 (austenitic stainless steel pipe). This of course assumes there are no breaks in continuity and the welder's skill isn't in question.

Hope these responses help.

Best regards - Al
- - By reddoggoose (**) Date 08-22-2016 20:00 Edited 08-22-2016 20:08
While I appreciate everyones thoughts, I think my point may being missed here. I think KBNY came closest to understanding my question. I'm going to try phrasing this again so maybe I make myself more understood.

I understand how a WPS functions and how a welder may or may not be qualified to weld to it depending on the essential variables at hand. My question is more a matter of interpretation of a statement made in the code.

Here again is the statement made in D1.1. This statment is under the heading of Preparation of Performance Qualification Forms:  "ALL of the WPS essential variable limitations of 4.7 shall apply, in ADDITION to performance essential variables of 4.22."   So again, to me , it sounds as if the WPS essential variable are in effect as well as the WPQR essential variables. For example if a welder qualifies for .035 diameter wire, this is an essential variable of a WPS and would limit his electrode diameter range even though it is not listed on 4.12.

Now my question is because of the statement : "ALL of the WPS essential variable limitations of 4.7 shall apply, in ADDITION to performance essential variables of 4.22."  

For example, do we feel that .035 diameter wire is an essential variable to the Performance Qualification because it is an essential variable in 4.7 which is clearly stated in the above quotation as being in effect in ADDITION to performance essential variables of 4.22?

I would like to hear everyones thought on the INTERPRETATION of this statement as to if it puts the WPS essential variables AND WPQR essential variables into effect for the range a welder is qualified within.

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2016 20:08
If the code says all the essential variables of Table 4.7 apply, then they apply. Specifically, once again, the welder must work within the ranges (constrained by the table) listed by the WPS while taking the test. Once the test is completed, the variables of table 4.12 apply and limit what the welder can weld in production.

Al
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 08-22-2016 20:16 Edited 08-22-2016 20:18
It sounds to me that your interpretation is that the WPS essential variable are in effect while under test, but the welder qualification supersedes to table 4.12. Which was KBNY's opinion as well.

He can weld with on .045 diameter on the next WPS even though the original weld test was done with .035 diameter wire on a WPS where this is considered an essential variable.

That's what I'm looking for opinions on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPQR limitations on diameter and filler tensile strength.