Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Does All WPS/PQR report requires to do the tests?
- - By tienmh Date 08-18-2016 00:24
I have a question.

If the filler metal and the base metal (one side) are the same material.
does the PQR report requires to have the tension/side bend/face bend tests?

The vendor explain the two base metal are just adhesive to each other and do not require to have the tension/side bend/face bend test.
Just want to do if this statement is correct.

(It's my first time to come to this forum. Hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question.)
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-18-2016 01:27
If you are talking about qualifying a butt weld procedure to ASME Section IX for a weld without filler metal (autogenous welding), then tensile and bend tests are required.
Parent - - By tienmh Date 08-18-2016 05:55
thank you for replying.

Yes, the procedure is ASME Section IX, but the welding is not autogenous.

Let me explain more in details.
The base metal is ASTM A352 and the filler is ERCCoCr-E by using FCAW - "overlay welding"
In this PQR, it shows the tensile test is not required, is this statement correct or not?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-19-2016 02:49
This is hard-facing overlay.  The testing requirements for hard-facing overlay can be found in Table QW-453. For procedure qualification the tests required are liquid penetrant testing, hardness testing, macro-examination and chemical analysis (when a specific composition is specified in the WPS).  Tension and bend tests are not required.
Parent - By tienmh Date 08-22-2016 01:56
Just realized i was totally looking for the answer in the wrong section.

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!

I am really appreciated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Does All WPS/PQR report requires to do the tests?