Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Receiving "certifications" but not in AWS system.
- - By Weld Date 08-28-2016 04:11 Edited 08-28-2016 04:15
Long story short, going to welding school. Things have been a bit chaotic, they're in the process of trying to get a program sorted out. Too much stuff is still up in the air.

Our "certifications" that we receive amount to a local PE/Metallurgist (and I believe CWI) who gives us stamped evaluation sheets after he bends straps cut from 1g, 3g and 4g plates. Come to find out that this process seems to be totally unrelated to AWS.

Had a prospective employer ask if I was "in the system" as an AWS certified welder.

Other than wiping my a**, can anyone explain to me just what good these 'certifications' I've gotten from this school are?
Is there any way they can be submitted to AWS given that they were performed at what I can only assume is an accredited testing facility and stamped by a PE who evaluated the bend test?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2016 12:39
The basic premise of any qualification is that the welder on a particular day, following a WPS, was capable of depositing a weld that met a specified criterion.

Generally, welder qualification is not transferable from one contractor to another. In the case of AWS D1.1, the Engineer, representing the Owner, can accept previous qualification. Please make no mistake, it is not the fabricator/erector/contractor that makes the ultimate decision whether to accept previous qualification, it is the Owner that is purchasing a product or service from the contractor that makes that determination.

The AWS has a National Registry of Certified Welders that can include welders that have been tested by AWS Accredited Test Facilities. It is just one more cash stream for the AWS. People are misinformed and mislead to believe that a welder qualified and certified, and listed by the NRCW may transfer their welder qualifications from one employer to another. That is a false claim, a false belief. It is illegal under the auspices of ASME, API, and AWS' own structural welding code where these codes/standards have legal standing under local, state, or federal statutes.

I find that many people do not understand and do not wish to understand the purpose of, the reason for, or the legality of welder qualification or certification. They find out just what the legal ramifications are when they are named one of the defendants in legal proceedings. 

Don't despair. The school gave you a qualification test to provide prospective employers with a clear indication you have the basic skills needed to pass a welder qualification test. Some schools specialize in teaching welders enough to pass the test and little else. However, it is one dumb ass contractor that would hire a welder and not test him/her (as required by most codes) to ensure the welder can meet their expectations. A contractor/fabricator that would hire you without testing you is a good contractor to steer clear of.

Personally, I have never accepted a "wallet card certification" issued by AWS.

Just my opinion you understand.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-28-2016 12:40 Edited 08-28-2016 12:47
1) They let YOU know you can pass a test
2) The let someone else know you have previously passed a test to a certain code if documented.
3) It is something you can refer to on your resume.

The tests administered by an ATF are absolutely no different than those in a code. The difference may lie in the perceived validity of the test without the AWS backing.  That does not mean an ATF won't make mistakes or even violate the rules nor does it mean another organization WILL.

In my history, I have never been an AWS Certified Welder. However my resume has listed things such as

"Previously certified in accordance with (code of your choice) on (metals of choice) in the (positions) .

Other than getting in the boilermakers apprentice program, I have never shown past records of performance qualification to a potential employer. Show up with a hood, tools, skills. Use papers to start a conversation but when the potential for employment is hinged upon a piece of paper, reinforce your desire to show your skills.

There is NO WAY that a test performed by an organization other than an ATF can be used to represent a test in compliance with the AWS Standard for Certified welders.

EDIT: But that doesn't mean it is any less valid. I work at an ATF currently and we have tested more people NOT needing the "AWS Certified Welder" and just needed testing per code. I strongly suggest never resting your hopes on papers, just the ability to get em when you need em!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Receiving "certifications" but not in AWS system.