Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New CWI, a little advice?
- - By LDaniels Date 09-15-2016 23:08
Hello everyone! I've recently received email verification that I've passed.. I was hoping i could possibly get some advice on how to acquire a QC job, I've been looking online mostly for potential work(it's harder to look for work than I had anticipated). A little background: I've worked as a combo welder/tube welder for most of my construction career, I've worked in shops, boilers, and refineries. I did the API 1104 on my exam, and am working towards becoming acquainted with ASME Section IX, and B 31.3/31.1. I hope to find work in refineries, but really I'll take anything at this point, thanks for reading!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2016 00:40
Too bad you took API 1104 if you are hoping to work in a refinery where most of the work is per ASME B31.3. Most people hiring CWI's are savvy enough to know the significance of the open book examinations.

The first thing I would do is go back an take the endorsement for ASME Sections IX, B31.1, and B31.3.

Once you have the endorsement, look on the AWS site "Job Find" for a company looking for CWIs.

Al
Parent - - By LDaniels Date 09-16-2016 01:36
While I work on getting Section IX, and B31.3/31.3 under my belt, what else could I go into with the API 1104?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2016 02:43
The open book examination is a demonstration that you know how to navigate a code. You should be able to use that skill to use any code. You are not limited to projects that utilize API 1104. Apply for any position that could use the skills and knowledge of a CWI and a welder with experience fabricating and welding. There are other opportunities beyond working in QC.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-16-2016 01:09
Talk with the companies you have been working with as a welder. You will have more contacts that may be familiar with you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New CWI, a little advice?