Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPQ, wrong filler
- - By Superflux (****) Date 09-27-2016 17:39
ASME IX,
I was digging through QW 3XX (article II) in an effort to decide if a retest was necessary if the incorrect electrode was used.
Say (hypothetically of course) on his rounds to the Test Booth for new hires, the QA TPI observes 7010 stubs in the welder's bucket and no 6010 as the test required.
Fail, allow it, demand a retest, fire the Test Booth QC...
What to do?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2016 19:45
Fail the welder, fire the test administrator, and revise the WPS to permit either E6010 or 7010.

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-27-2016 21:29
Al,
Dude, you are one Hard core Hombre.
I'll bet you bowl overhand.
I needed/wanred documentable "back-up" for my decision. I was hoping/wondering for someone to point me to where it says that the test is a fail? Actually I didn't NEED it, just nice to have. They are good little Robotic Sheep and do what I say

My course of action was to:
1) Have test administrator fail Welder.
2) Recommend Welder for immediate retest since it looked danged good.
3) Have test administrator sent onto the carpet for disciplinary action. Up to "his" mgr for severity of action. Accidents happen... I seem to recall making one or 2 over the years myself.
4) Leave WPS alone. Not my problem, too much paperwork to alter and send thru channels. We are talking about a Controlled Document here.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-28-2016 00:36
I mentioned revising the WPS because both 6010 and 7010 are assigned/grouped as F3, so it is permitted if the WPS permits both or either electrode to be used. Staying with the theme for the WPS, was the WPS specific to the performance test given?

The individual tasked with supervising the performance test fell down on the job of verifying the test was performed within the parameters of the WPS. Was the groove angle acceptable, was the root opening within allowable limits, was the coupons to correct base metal specification and grade? Did the welder stay within the permissible ranges for voltage, current, travel speed? Using the incorrect electrode is kind of a big deal, what else was missed?

Are there steps that can be taken to "error proof" the process such as developing a WPS specific to the performance test being administered? Can a check list be used to reduce the likelihood important steps will be missed or a check of the welding parameters could be overlooked? If the checklist included or required the test supervisor to record actual voltage and amperage ranges used and perhaps the travel speed, there would be less opportunity for the welder to weld outside the ranges listed by the WPS. Just thinking out loud. 

I agree, we all make mistakes. My wife keeps a couple of three ring binders to record and compile all my mistakes so she can remind me of them when it suits her needs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-28-2016 12:21
Only a couple of binders? You must be doing something better than most of us.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-05-2016 18:07
I know about THE Book!
Robert
Attachment: THEBookofMyMistakes.png (388k)
Parent - By 52757 (**) Date 10-05-2016 18:53
What happened to the other half.:twisted:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2016 04:35
I like that.

My wife's uncle used to say, "The only man that hasn't made a mistake is one that has never done anything."

My, but haven't you been a busy one.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-28-2016 10:28
If the WPS was given to the welder and  wasn't followed , make him a NO HIRE!

If the test supervisor had one and didn't give it to the welder on paper or verbally, make him a no hire!

Of course just one man's opinion.
You must have a qualified WPS for testing. If the WPS allowed for any XX10 electrode, then life Its good.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 10-04-2016 03:28
Create a simple checklist  (Yes/NO) before deciding.

1. Welder briefing done before the test start.
2. WPS displayed around the test booth.
3. Is there an existing approved procedure or method statement for conducting the welder test.

If all the answers are NO, then the TPI must not flex his muscles for being novice to the job. Accept that mistake was overlooked and to give chance to re-start the test.

If all the answers are YES, issue a Non Conformance / Rejection Notice. Suggest to disqualify the Welder and replace the QC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPQ, wrong filler