Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welder/Operator Qualification- UT instead of RT
- - By Nalla (***) Date 10-22-2016 16:45
Dear Sirs
Ref Code - ASME IX_2015
QW-191.2 Ultrasonic Examination
QW-191.2.1 Method
(a) The ultrasonic examination in QW-142 for welders and in QW-143 for welding operators may be conducted on test welds in material 1/2 in. (13 mm) thick or greater

QW-191.1.2.3 Production Welds. The acceptance criteria for welders or welding operators who qualify
on production welds by radiography as permitted in QW-304.1 or QW-305.1 shall be per QW-191.1.2.2

QW-191.2.3 Acceptance Criteria for Qualification Test Welds.
Indications shall be sized using the applicable technique(s) provided in the written procedure for the examination method. Indications shall be evaluated for acceptance as follows:
(a) All indications characterized as cracks, lack of fusion,or incomplete penetration are unacceptable regardless of length.
(b) Indications exceeding 1/8 in. (3 mm) in length are considered relevant, and are unacceptable when their lengths exceed
(1) 1/8 in. (3 mm) for t up to 3/8 in. (10 mm).
(2) 1/3t for t from 3/8 in. to 21/4 in. (10 mm to 57 mm).
(3) 3/4 in. (19 mm) for t over 21/4 in. (57 mm), where t
is the thickness of the weld excluding any allowable reinforcement.
For a butt weld joining two members having different thicknesses at the weld, t is the thinner of these two thicknesses. If a full penetration weld includes a fillet weld, the thickness of the throat of the fillet shall be included in t .

QW-191.2.4 Acceptance Criteria for Production
Welds. The acceptance criteria for welders or welding operators who qualify on production welds by ultrasonic examination
as permitted in QW-304.1 or QW-305.1 shall be per QW-191.2.3

My Question
For welded Test Coupon Pipe or Plate thickness  below 13mm-
Can i perform Conventional UT instead of RT to qualify and certify a welder/operator with NDT Level III Approved UT Procedure?

Appreciate prompt response
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-22-2016 20:55
I would start with Section IX, Article QW-304, from there go to QW-191, note the exceptions taken for certain P-numbered materials. Then one must go to Article 191.2 for UT. That bounces the reader to Article QW-142 that takes the reader to QW-304. Welcome to ASME folks. Now, go back to QW-191.2.1, as noted, UT is only permitted for materials 1/2 inch thick or thicker.

So, in response to your inquiry, in my opinion the answer is UT cannot be used to qualify welders if the base metal is not at least 1/2 inch thick. There is no exception that I saw in my review of Section IX.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welder/Operator Qualification- UT instead of RT