Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.5 CVN PQR Requirements
- - By TimGary (****) Date 10-21-2016 18:25
AWS D1.5 : 2015, Qualification Section 5.4.3.5 states:

" Charpy V-Notch (CVN) Test Requirements - WPS qualification tests for welds on steels with minimum specified yield strength of 485 MPa [70 KSI] or greater shall measure strength, ductility, toughness and soundness of weld metal. When specified in contract documents, qualification tests for steels shall also measure the CVN test values  of the coarse grained area of the HAZ. The minimum CVN test energy, test temperature, orientation of the notch, and other necessary details shall be specified in the contract documents when HAZ testing is required."

I think this can be interpreted as declaring, without directly stating, that steels with yield strengths less that 485 MPa [70 KSI] are exempt from CVN testing during procedure qualification, unless otherwise stated in contract documents.

All further mention of CVN testing  during PQR, such as Table 5.7 and Fig. 5.1 allude to required CVN testing, without noted exceptions.

Is my interpretation correct?

If your answer is no, please point out the section that proves me wrong.

Thanks,

Tim Gary
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-22-2016 02:26
Generally speaking, CVN is not required unless it is specified by the Engineer. There is specific information the Engineer has to specify up front, such as test temperature, whether the base metal, weld, and HAZ must be tested, and what test results are acceptable.

It is mentioned in a couple of different clauses, one that comes to mind is in clause 1 where the responsibilities of the Engineer are defined. Look at clause 1.4.1 and clause 4,25.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2016 02:43
The impact requirements are dictated by the AASHTO zone. We are in Zone II
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-22-2016 20:36
My bad, I cited the New Farm Code. My apologies gentlemen.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-23-2016 01:58
No problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.5 CVN PQR Requirements