Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding defectsin 4130
- - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 12-02-2016 11:19
We have welded nozzle to shell joint moc
Shell-4130 & nozzle -4130
Shell-110mm thk nozzle-75mm thk
Weld configuration single bevel joint
We did preheating 250 C (min) and interpass  temp 350C (max) and  post heat 300 C for1 .5 hr and intermediate stress relieving 600 C for 1 hr
Process gtawER70S2+ smaw E8018B2
ALL NOZZLE WELD GOT CRACKED ON WELD AT 50 MM DEEP AFTER ULTRASONIC TEST
NOW WE ARE UNABLE TO REPAIR OR WELD
WE ARE UNABLE TO FIND WHAT WENT WRONG
CAN ANY1 HELP AS ITS VERY HELLFULL EXPERIENCE
WE HAVE SCREWED THE JOB please help us
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-02-2016 13:28
Wow,,, that's harsh...
How confident are you that the pre/post heat procedure and electrode identification and storage requirements were diligently followed?
Wers the root passes inspected for cracks prior to fill?
Were the welds UT'd prior to stress relief?

Tim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2016 17:04 Edited 12-02-2016 17:07
The preheat sounds low for the 75 mm thickness you are welding. The PWHT of 300 C is at best a tempering operation or hydrogen bake out. It isn't hot enough for a stress relief. 600 C for 1-hours isn't sufficient for 75 mm thickness. The hold time is typically 1 hour per 25 mm of thickness.

Low hydrogen electrodes should be baked at a higher temperature for one hour before welding to ensure they are free of moisture. I suggest baking them at 500 F for one hour (I'll let you convert F to degrees C).

Verify the welders did not allow the weldment to cool below the minimum preheat temperature while welding. It is mighty uncomfortable to weld at that high a temperature and welders are humans. They like to make their life as comfortable as possible, i.e., let the base metal cool below the required preheat.

The SMAW low hydrogen electrodes need to be removed from an unopened hermetically seal contain and placed directly into an electric holding oven to ensure they are moisture free. If they are exposed to the air for a half hour or more they can pick up enough moisture to be a concern. Again, bake them at high temperature for an hour before using them.

Once the assembly is welded, move it directly into an oven for a full post weld heat treatment, i.e., stress relief at 600 C. It may be helpful to perform a couple of intermediate stress relief operations as you weld (maybe after each 25 mm of weld thickness). Heating to 300 C is not sufficient for in-process stress relief of final stress relief.

I concur with the use of the 8018-B2, but I would prefer 8018-B2L. The ER70S-2 is questionable if you are required to match the mechanical properties of the base metal. There is a 4130 filler metal available for Lincoln and ESAB. You might consider using that filler metal.

Good luck with the next one.

Al
Parent - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 12-04-2016 14:27
ThankS AI nd tim
I HAVE WPS QUALIFIED WITH ER70S2 AND 8018B2
PWHT TEMP I AM GOIN FOR 2hrs 15 mins
Post heat is OK
Welder didn't cool weldmetal below preheat
Electrode baking done properly
Still cracks have develop
Plz suggest some other ideas
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2016 18:05 Edited 12-04-2016 18:17
Can you provide a joint design?

Was the crack along HAZ or Centerline?

Was the crack detected right after welding the root or after completion of the entire weld?

Was preheat dropped prior to PWHT ?

What was the cooling rate after Welding and PWHT.?

Was the item attached to any operating machinery ?

Was any in-process inspection performed on the root pass or intermediate passes.?

If it was a saddle on connection, was the run pipe prepared to allow the hole to line up precisely with the ID of the branch?

With a tight groove angle, concave root contour, and a deep depth to width things can be difficult. I imagine this is a saddled on nozzle and not through the shell.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding defectsin 4130