Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS CODE ON DRAWINGS
- - By scole90 Date 12-13-2016 19:29
we make a lot of 316 and 304 stainless sheet metal parts, what welding code should I refer to on the drawings. currently we are using aws d1.1. I think d1.1 is for structural steel.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-13-2016 20:25
Is this Stainless Steel material (316 and 304) welded to regular carbon steel? AWS D1.6 addresses welding of these materials.

Yes, you are correct in that AWS D1.1 is for structural steel. I don't have the code in front of me right now, but I think AWS D1.1,  Clause 1.something "Limitations" refers to AWS D1.6 for welding of stainless steel materials.
Parent - - By Steelslinger (**) Date 12-13-2016 20:28
D1.6 is for stainless to stainless. I believe you have to go to B2.1 for Stainless to Carbon.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-13-2016 21:32
Nah, I've used D1.6 for 304 stainless steel plate lintels to carbon steel beams A992. Had to qualify the procedure.
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 12-13-2016 20:27
You have several possibles:

D1.3 - Structural Sheet Metal
D9.1 - Non-Structural Sheet Metal
D1.6 - Structural Stainless Steel

And then there are the ones for piping, etc.
http://pubs.aws.org/stainless-steel/434?page=1
There are four pages of additional codes and standards relating to stainless steel
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-14-2016 22:19
If you are the design authority, you may select whatever you like based upon the intended use of t he product unless there is some jurisdictional law requiring parts be designed, manufactured(built), inspected and tested in accordance with a specific standard..

AWS Has numerous codes and standards that may be applied to your product. Obviously using one for structural steel for stainless sheet metal will lead to eventual problems. Not with the product per se but with the documentation that supports it and may be passed on to customers or subcontractors.

Take a LOOK AT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_welding_codes AND JUST PICK YA ONE OUT :)
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2016 00:06 Edited 12-14-2016 23:23
Before listing any welding standard or code on the drawing, one should read the real McCoy to see if it is applicable. One must also consider the purpose of listing a particular welding standard on the drawing. Consider the following:

1) Is the intent to provide direction related to qualifying welding procedures and welders?
2) Is the code or standard applicable the materials being joined?
3) Are there design constraints that are applicable to the produce being constructed?
4) Are there fabrication constraints in the code or standard that is applicable?
5) Are the inspection requirements consistent with the service and requirements of the user?
6) Is the acceptance criteria appropriate for the products being constructed?

There are situations where a recognized welding code or standard simply does not apply or does not address the needs of the manufacturer or the end user. In those situations, unless there is a legal reason, there is no reason the manufacturer cannot develop a project specification that is specific to the product being manufactured. It is also possible to adopt a recognized code or standard in part and modify those portions that are not applicable or delete the requirements that do not apply.

Just because a widget is constructed of stainless steel does not mean AWS D1.6, D1.3, or D9.1 is appropriate.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS CODE ON DRAWINGS