Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Qualifying wpqr and wqr fior asme sec 9 API 1104
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 01-16-2017 16:58
company has a wpqr  for 42"pipe  The first pass is done by welder A using subarc on exterior of pipe. second pass is welded by
welder B on the inside of pipe using sub arc to a different set of parameters and different welding machine Third pass is welded by
welder  using subarc  to a different set of parameters and different welding machine .  so you have three different welders using 3 different machines and parameters. I have no issue with this

company wants to qualify welders using their first (2) production welds.  I maintain that each welder must complete all 3 passes
on the joint that will then be x rayed

company wants 3 different welders to qualify a welder . I do not agree with this as it does not meet code requirements . is customer
engineer allowed to change the code to allowthem to do this
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2017 00:02
Some codes allow for this practice. The condition is that the weld passes and all three welders are qualified or the weld fails and all three welders fail.

Now comes the fun part, the first welder is qualified with and without backing, the other welders are qualified with backing only.

Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-19-2017 13:32
Couple things. First, this practice can be done according to ASME Section IX, except for GMAW short circuit. It cannot be done per API 1104. But keep in mind, API 1104 is a standard not a code. The owner has the authority to waive. However, the issue will be, for an API 1104 regime, answering to the DOT. If API 1104 is used the DOT expects full compliance.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Qualifying wpqr and wqr fior asme sec 9 API 1104