Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / As a welding engineering student, what books should I read?
- - By Willyis40 Date 12-27-2016 12:52
Hey everyone! I'm currently a welding technology student with hopes of moving on to get a WET degree. I see the limitations of a WET degree in that it doesn't provide you with a whole lot of theory, so I'm looking for books that I can read during my school breaks to be more well rounded.

I own a few books right now. Practical Welding Technology (Rudy Mohler) and Welding Metallurgy (George Linnert Vol 1+2). I also have access to a lot of textbooks that I found online like Welding Metalurgy (Sindo Kou), Principles of Welding, and a couple more.

So what has helped you the most?

Thanks!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-27-2016 16:38
You have Linnert's book, that is one of my favorites.

Also, the AWS Welding Handbook series especially volumes 1 & 2; 'Welding Processes' and 'Welding Science and Technology'.
Parent - By Willyis40 Date 12-27-2016 16:58
I skimmed through Volume 1 by Linnert. After I finish up Practical Welding Technology I'm diving right in. Overall it looks like it has some great information. I also own those handbooks that you mentioned, so it looks like I have some reading to do. Thank you!
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 12-27-2016 18:45
If you can find it - "Modern Welding Technology" by Howard Cary
Parent - - By Willyis40 Date 12-27-2016 19:16
Would an older edition suffice? I'm finding the newest edition at $150+, but the oldish ones (one or two editions behind) at $10ish.

Gotta stay true to that college budget! :lol:
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 12-29-2016 04:23
The older ones are fine.  Mr. Cary passed away quite awhile ago.  It's quite comprehensive.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-06-2017 12:32
Hey Willy,
It's great to build your personal library of reference material.  I say reference because 95% of it was useless until a specific problem came up, in class or at work.  Then they become gold.

Skimming through them now is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the contents.

Aside from the aforementioned books:

The Principles of Cold Cracking Control in Welds (Brian A. Graville)
Materials and Applications (AWS Welding Handbook Vol. 4)

Which college/university are you attending?

Tyrone
Parent - - By Willyis40 Date 01-09-2017 01:50
Right now I'm attending my local community college for my AAS degree in Welding technology, then I play to move onto PCT if I am able for their Welding Engineering Technology program!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-09-2017 12:56
Excellent.  Good to have a plan.
Williamsport is a pretty town.
Good luck, stick with it.
Tyrone
Parent - - By Willyis40 Date 01-09-2017 18:37
Thanks! I did some research and I couldn't find anything online or to even buy for 'The Principles of Cold Cracking Control in Welds'. Any idea on how I could get a hold of a copy?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-09-2017 22:07
AWS Bookstore tab from the AWS Main Website page.   $66 for members.

Ref # and Title:   D14.8 2009 Standard Methods for the Avoidance of Cold Cracks

Link to Bookstore:     http://pubs.aws.org/search?q=D14.8

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-10-2017 13:38
Hey Brent,
I don't have that one.
Is it a good comprehensive book?

Tyrone
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2017 19:24
Been a while since I looked at it.  To truly give you an answer I will need to wait until I get home from OR and take another look through it.  Set up more like a supplement as is D1.8 the Seismic Supplement and not so much like a normal reference book.

Should be headed home next week weather permitting.  I think another storm is coming but hopefully not snow this time.

Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-10-2017 23:28
Times like this when I miss Henry's input. I am sure he would have a VERY comprehensive list of reading that I would feel the need to troll thru.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2017 00:18
Happy New Year Glenn. 

Hope all has been well with you.

Agreed on Henry's ability to contribute to questions like this.

Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-07-2017 20:08
Sorry Brent, must have missed this post. All well apart from the sad loss of Jon. Missing the great US of A as well. Hope to get back one day. My friend started work for Space X last week down in TX, he keeps sending me pictures that make me want to 'De-Friend' him on Facebook.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-08-2017 01:27
No problem Glyn, just glad all is well.

BB
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-10-2017 13:19
Hey Brent,
Just got a copy of D14.8 2009 Standard Methods for the Avoidance of Cold Cracks

It's great!  It contains the 4 main methods for calculating preheat.  Now I have them all in one book.

Thanks
Tyrone
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-10-2017 13:24
Good, I just went through and organized my bookshelf the other day and discovered about 3 different reference books totally missing from my library.  But that one is still there.  I need to pull it out and do some reviewing once I get a chance.  The worst one I am going to miss but can't replace right now is one of my Welding Handbook series.  I think it is vol 1 but don't remember at the moment.

Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-06-2017 17:12
This is exactly what I did, I got my AAS in welding from WCC then transfered to PCT.

I would contend that the WET degree is not short in theory. Metallurgy is a vastly deep subject though so even after years in the field I still feel like I know very little on the topic.
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 02-20-2017 13:10
Welding principles and applications - Jeffus

I went back to college at almost 62 for Weld Design.  This is the book we are currently using.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-06-2017 18:02
Best of luck,

I got my degree in welding and fabrication then WET at PCT.  I would disagree that the degree doesn't provide you with sufficient theory, in relation to most anyone else you could meet besides another welding engineer. This field is so deep though that even after a decade I don't feel particularly knowledgable in many subjects. Unless you go into a metallurgy specific research career you probably won't be hit with many theory questions. It's mostly whipping welding departments into shape, defect reduction and process improvements.

AS far as references books. I can't claim that I have any go to's I'm actually struggling to think the last time I picked up a reference book maybe 3 years?  I have a copy of metals and how to weld them, and blueprint reading for welders. I had some good NDT books but I haven't referenced them in 6 years.   I would say I rarely found a problem where I thought a book would have a great answer. Including when I worked at a national lab doing research. Everything is so nuanced that at best you can find some general explanation for a topic or you dig into really specific books for really specific phenomena.  I would browse/search welding journals for technical articles and stay informed with the field.

My biggest suggestion is just read as much as possible as you can about welding.  Develop your excel skills, code interpretation skills and CAD skills.  All through college I would come on forums like this and try to answer all the questions posted, if I was stumped I research the answer.   Build up a way to find answers cause you'll constantly be hit your whole career with questions you've never seen on alloys you never worked with.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-07-2017 11:10
Weldability of Steels, RD Stout Welding Research Council
AWS Welding Handbook All volumes
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / As a welding engineering student, what books should I read?