Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to start getting ready for CWI exam ?
- - By gore313 Date 03-11-2017 22:26
So im 24 and am interested in becoming a cwi, I am currently in school to get my AS degree in engineering technology and working as a tig welder. After finishing school I want to become a cwi but that won't be until 2018.

How do I start to get ready? I want to start getting ready as soon as possible. I looked at the AWS website and there is a bunch of clinics,seminars, and workshops. There is the seminar week pack , code clinic, welding inspection work shop, visual inspection workshop, cwi online pre-seminar, and the welding fundamentals online course, all together they are $6000+ with the exam, which ones should I take? do I need to take all of them?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-12-2017 00:04
WWHHOOOAAA there Hoss.  Way overboard. 

Several of those are just two day break downs of the Seminar Week pack.  You don't need them separately.  Now, since you can't take the exams for another year, I would recommend doing the online courses including, if you wanted to, some that are not included in the Pre-CWI course.  When you take that they will send you the books listed as INCLUDED in the seminar week as 'FREE' handouts (we all know they aren't FREE, you paid for them with the course).  I better check something out, I may have just misspoke.  You may have to sign up for the seminar week AND the online classes to have the books included.  But, you can take the seminar this year as well as the online class and then wait until next year to take the CWI exam.  That will give you additional study time and preparation in your chosen code book. 

If you have looked at the application process there is a list of suggested self study books that can be used after taking the online class and seminar to help you get a different and more complete perspective of everything involved with being a CWI.  If you have not seen this list, let us know and we can get you the link or list so you can order what you need.  Again, on that list are several of the books that are also included in the seminar price and you really don't want to buy duplicates if you have no need for them.   The process has changed a little, but I bought ALL the books on the list and studied.  When I took the seminar I kept those books and gave them to my son to study.  He is also now a CWI.  We give books away to new prospective CWI's whenever we see the type of person we want to help.  Every time you take a course with AWS you are going to get the newest editions of several books that are part of the class/seminar you are taking.  If it is a duplicate, give it away or sell it. 

Before anything else, if you are not an AWS member, sign up now.  Members get a 25% discount and if you don't do it early you end up paying for it with the cost of the seminar anyway.  It can usually work out to be cheaper to do that right away and then start taking classes, seminars, and buying books.

Any other questions, just ask away.  I know I didn't cover everything but that is a start.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By gore313 Date 03-12-2017 03:04
what courses that aren't included in the pre-cwi course do you recommend ?

I won't take the seminar or the online pre course because I just looked and I feel that if I take them now I will forget the material by the time I take the exam next year. Plus the online pre course is only available for 90days once you purchase it. its to much money to have to take them two times.

So I guess the main way to prepare is getting the suggested self study books. Is there a place where I can buy some used books ?
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-13-2017 17:55
You may want to check the three (3) free downloads: ANSI Z49.1, Safety in Welding, Cutting and Allied Processes, QC1:2007 Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors & B5.1:2013 Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors ~ please note the five year requirement; "5.2.2 Shall have a minimum of five (5) years experience in an occupational function..." . A document that will help with the Part B Book of Specifications is B2.1/B2.1M:2014-AMD1, Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification. Several Pages are quoted in Part B.
Research where your AWS Section Library is and avail yourself to the welding & welding inspection materials for free.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-13-2017 21:57
If I remember correctly and/or they didn't change it, you only need three years experience with a degree in an applicable field of study. 

Brent
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-14-2017 02:04
Per the quoted Specification B5.1 it is five years experience and yes two years maximum may be substituted with an Associate Degree or Engineering/Technical and one year for Trade/Vocational Courses.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-12-2017 22:52
1) Take all of the books that were supplied or referenced during your training to achieve an AS Degree and read them to understand all of the content.

2) Obtain the the AWS Body of Knowledge for the CWI and buy an AWS Welding Handbook Volume 1, 9th edition. Read the sections in the book...a few times.

3) Purchase a "Welding Inspection Technology" book and workbook and go through it. Answer the questions, closed book and check your scores. Go through it a few more times until you feel your understand the content.

4) Obtain a code book, any year, any code such as D1.1, ANSIi B31.1/3, API 1104 and read through it not really cover to cover but more learning where certain subjects are addressed.

Then after you have done some learning, decide if you need a course or just want to spend the money trying a test.

The above is an opinion only and based on only my experiences.

Keep in mind we all learn differently. I feel you should learn all you can about welding,inspection, codes etc... before attending a "prep class".
Parent - By Bryan13 Date 05-18-2017 14:52
Thaaanks, you cleared everything!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to start getting ready for CWI exam ?