Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-10-2017 14:54
Well, I decided this is the year I will focus on the whole CWI thing. The plan is to be ready for the seminar in September of this year and exam.

Has anybody looked over the "Pre-Seminar" stuff online? As in online training? I been looking it over and looks pretty good and geared towards the test so I figure it should have a lot of good information. After 9 years in this business I finally broke down and signed up as a member at AWS. The discounts on books and especially the seminar were well worth it.

Hope all is well with all the old hands I've met on here over the years.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-10-2017 19:52
The online presentation is pretty well done but there is not the personal interaction that you get at the seminar.  Plus, it is mainly focused on the WIT portion which is great for the Part A, closed book portion of the exams.  But you won't get much of the info you need for the Parts B and C; practical hands on and Codebook.

I would still recommend taking the seminar but do the online as well.  All things considered it is an excellent combination to prepare you all across the board. 

Best Wishes. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-12-2017 15:01
Thanks Brent. I like being prepared that's for sure! Had a guy want me to price out a job and couldn't help but look at his photos and notice the roof off the store right below where he wanted me to weld/cut. Then about 50-75 feet away, the 6-7 rows of gas pumps, not to mention the parking lot right under where I would be cutting and welding. I had to pose the question, what do you plan on doing about blowing up, setting fire or burning pedestrians??? LOL!

One thing about the online seminar I wish once you paid for it you would have it available for, well, as long as you want. They give you 90 days but it would be nice to be able to access it after that for brushing up or future whatever. Might be something I can email AWS about.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-12-2017 22:53
This guy has some online content that may be of help. http://www.weld-procedure.com/
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI