Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Farm Code 2015
- - By 52757 (**) Date 03-14-2017 21:38
Clause 3 Prequalification of WPSs. 3.3 "Only base metals and filler metals listed in Tables 3.1 and  3.2 may be used in prequalified WPSs. When the Engineer states that it  is "acceptable as equivalent materials when the  requirements below are met" then lists mechanical properties , chemical properties, for a 572 gr 50, but the metal is Q345 from China, can they now call Q345 prequalified if it meets those requirements? My feelings are no, because Q345 is not listed in Table 3.1 or 3.2. Even if it meets those properties it is still not listed. It is still Q345 not A572. What are your thoughts on this.  Am I just stubborn.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2017 00:50
You need to read clause 1.4. It grants the Engineer the authority to "add to, delete from, or otherwise modify, the requirements of this code".

Right or wrong, the Engineer has the responsibility and should something go wrong, both the Owner and the Engineer must answer for their actions or inaction.

If the Engineer allows the steel to be "prequalified" for his project, it is his prerogative.

I would submit the CMTRs for the steel and specifically request the Engineer's approval that the steel provided is "prequalified" that that one project. Bear in mind, there have been cases where the steel provided did not match the steel listed by the CMTR. I would recommend that a sample of one or two pieces of steel be tested for chemistry and the mechanical properties to verify the CMTRs are in fact for the steel provided. Frankly, I would not trust anything supplied by the Chinese until it has been independently verified.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 52757 (**) Date 03-15-2017 11:46
Thanks Al. I knew about 1.4, but didn't really know if that would allow it to be called prequalified. I don't like the fact that we will be using a lot of China steel from what I have been hearing but its beyond my control. I just don't know from one shipment to the next what we will actually be receiving. Paper work can say one thing but unless its tested, who knows. It all falls under the lowest cost in the short term now days. That's all corporate sees. Any way, I appreciate your response. That was the reason I came to this forum,  I was hoping for your insight. I hope that you know that  no matter how politically correct etc. that the other site is forcing everything to be, that you know how much so many of us rely on your opinions. DO NOT EVER LEAVE OUT OF FRUSTRATION! I have to much to learn yet. Thanks.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2017 13:21
Amen on the comments about Al and his input into our lives. 

I agree with him on the ability of the engineer per the code to be able to alter any portion of the code and call that material and the processes and procedures 'prequalified'.  Once they do it is totally their responsibility.  All we need do is make sure the VT is complete and correct within the boundaries of what they have established. 

We don't have to like it, just follow it and document EVERYTHING.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2017 20:54
I look at it this way, they can visit this site for the correct answer or visit the other site where no one dares to say what is really on their mind.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Farm Code 2015