Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / tubular qualification D1.1 2015
- - By Newt18 (*) Date 04-05-2017 02:05
Hi all. I have a question on figure 9.21, pipe to plate option, page 314 I believe. The plate thickness is T Max. What exactly is meant by this? Is T Max in relationship to the pipe wall thickness you are attempting to qualify to?
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 04-05-2017 16:20
That would be the way I read it as well.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-05-2017 19:55
If you look to the right and slightly above the line that reads Tmax, it says "T= Wall Thickness".  Since plate does not have 'Wall Thickness' it would seem that the T is equal to the wall thickness of the tubing.  Thus, T Max for plate where the arrows point to the plate thickness would indicate that the plate thickness is a MAXIMUM of the tubing wall thickness dimension. 

So, if you are using a pipe with a .22 wall thickness, your plate would be 3/16" since 1/4" would be over your maximum of the tubing wall thickness.  Of course, you could always waste your time and take a 1/4" plate and machine it down so that it was equal to the tubing wall.  But why?  Just a thought in case anyone was thinking about it. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Newt18 (*) Date 04-05-2017 20:31
Hi Brent. Thanks for replying. I am wondering now if the wall thickness dimension (T MAX) could go with Table 9.10. The top row 1/8 to 3/8, would be the materials you are testing. Referring to figure 9.21, if your pipe wall is 3/16", the plate thickness would 3/8". What do you think?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-06-2017 00:01
No.  Table 9.10 is for CJP's whereas you are talking about a fillet weld soundness test.  Two different animals.

Table 9.10 refers only to two pieces of pipe welded together.  Not sure how you would even begin to justify going to a 3/8" plate with a 3/16" wall on the tubing.  Basically it is saying you can use a schedule of tubing that includes wall thicknesses between 1/8" to 3/8".  Nothing to do with a plate thickness for the fillet weld soundness test.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Newt18 (*) Date 04-06-2017 13:47
Hi Brent. Thanks for replying. So confusing. Tubular WPS qualification for fillet welds reference figure 9.21, ( 9.14, table 9.12.) Table 9,12 sends you to table 9.10 for pipe diameter. Table 9.10 references wall thickness to qualify diameter. That is where I came up with last reply. In the long run I should just match plate thickness to my pipe wall thickness?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / tubular qualification D1.1 2015