Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Level I, II, and III?
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-26-2017 13:33
Anyone ever hear of an AWS certification where they classify the AWS CWI as Level I, II, or III?

I was performing visuals for a contractor at a local power plant during a shutdown and one of the guys there in the office asked me, while I was sitting through the safety orientation, if I was a CWI Level II because only CWI Level II's can inspect for them. I answered that as far as I knew the AWS CWI has no levels perse', but can have endorsements added to the certification. He says he knows different because that is all that he hires is AWS CWI Level II's. I say OK, and move on....
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-26-2017 16:13
Hey John

The CWB has CWI levels 1, 2, & 3   They also have an easy AWS reciprocity.

AWS has:
CAWI   sorta like a level 1
CWI     sorta like a level 2
SCWI   sorta lke a level 3

People love to mix and match... Maybe a CWI with some sort of ASNT level II type of qual..

But No,  The AWS does not communicate their various CWI designations as "Levels"
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-26-2017 22:45
Hey there John,

Both on the forum and at work I have heard of this confusion many times.  As Lawrence said, it just ain't so.  Adding every single endorsement AWS offers still won't make you a Level II.  Even adding SCWI and CWS with all of the code endorsements won't make you a Level II or III. 

Quite frankly, they are just plain ignorant.  Even if they mixed terms from other countries or organizations, it is better to keep one's mouth shut so others don't know that you are ignorant than to open it and prove them right. 

The ASNT VT Level II that is available by reciprocity still does not make anyone a CWI level II.  If that were even remotely true, then everyone with any ASNT Level II qualification in VT, PT, MT, UT, etc could also claim to be a CWI Level II. 

But, none of the qualification organizations has that type of a reciprocity program or system instituted within their standards. 

Tell him he better start asking for their AWS/CWI ID card and verifying that Level II status.  He'll have to fire all his inspectors on the spot.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-27-2017 13:06
Thanks for the replies guys :cool: ....I was being a bit  :twisted: facetious in asking about this. I have been in this business of structural steel/welding for 34 years now and have never heard of an AWS CWI Level I, II, or III and was pretty sure that nothing of the sort even existed, but this guy was convinced he was right and who was I to argue. He made a copy of my wallets cards and I just chuckled under my breath and went my way. I asked him was he sure it wasn't an NDT/NDE certification that he was thinking about and he was sure it wasn't. I feel like he had heard of guys holding some sort of NDT Level I, II, or III (ASNT) and he just didn't know enough about it to tell the difference.

Brent, I hold the ASNT VT II also, just because I took the small printed eye test and had the CWI already. It was just a matter of sending them money and they sent me a VT II card.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2017 13:17
Yes, I hold it even though I have a VT program set up through my Level III and classes to get actual ASNT VT training, hours, and qualification.  I keep their card because I like the pretty picture.  Oh, that's me in that picture.  No wonder it looked so good.  LOL.

BB
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-28-2017 01:24
As we all know, the experience of many "seasoned" hands often results in a knowledge greater than that of the "book smart" welding inspector :)
- - By MediMa99 Date 05-09-2017 07:53
I have 2
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-09-2017 13:12
You have '2' what?
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 05-09-2017 19:58
2 well seasoned hands?  We keep telling you, you need to wash up after using Mrs. Dash.
- - By wolf03 Date 05-14-2017 08:40
Hey guys,

Is their any one know's or familiar with the name of this society ( INTERNATIONAL MARITIME WELDING SOCIETY ). they say it was adopt by AWS..

Thank's..
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-14-2017 13:09
You really needed to start your own thread to ask this as it is not related to the current thread you posted on.

However,

GREETINGS AND WELCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!

AWS has established relationships with other welding organizations around the world.  The organization you asked about appears to be mainly African and Asian based.  With all the new member groups AWS is assisting in their endeavors to promote welding it would not surprise me if this is one of those groups though I did not find anything with a quick search. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Level I, II, and III?