Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / R Stamp questions
- - By officemonkey Date 05-08-2017 14:44
Hello everyone,

I was directed here from another forum when I was seeking answers for composing an R stamp manual. I'll copy and paste the question here in hopes someone can assist me.

I'm an office assistant for a welding and fabrication company. The company I work for is looking to obtain an R stamp and we've been trying to wrap our head around it. We're a young company so there's a lot of growing pains, this notwithstanding. Before I ask a question I'll go ahead and explain where we're at:

- A representative at NBIC stated all we need is to apply, have a quality systems manual, have an approved contract with a n AIA and own the NBIC books parts 1, 2, and 3.
- We've obtained the NBIC books
- We've contacted the AIA and contract is pending QS manual
- QS Manual is being drafted

So here's where we're stuck. Being as young as we are, we saw the price tag on ASME BPV and realized it was not possible to purchase at this time. NBIC having told us we needed only the above items, we set out to obtain an R stamp within those limitations. However...

1.) The AIA provided us with a template of a QC manual, citing ASME codes. I've gone ahead and edited it to the equivalents in NBIC. I think this is fine given the national boards stated requirements, but that leads me to my second question.
2.) The outline of what a QS requires states a need for provisions of construction code. As far as I can tell, the only place to obtain this is through ASME's BPV codes. Is this correct? If so, is it worth orienting my manual in the scope of NBIC if I have to defer to ASME anyway? And if not, what's a good resource to research these construction codes?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm not entirely sure if this line of questioning is within the scope of these forums, but while searching for answers I was linked to this forum and thought it may be a good place to seek guidance. Thank you reading this far.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-08-2017 17:07 Edited 05-08-2017 17:09
Just letting you know your post is noticed and,
WELCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!  The Greatest Welding Forum in The World. 

There are guys very well suited to answer your questions that I will defer to as ASME and R stamp questions are not in my realm of knowledge.  Hopefully one of our knowledgeable posters will be along shortly. 

Your question is very much within the realms of this forum and I would suggest using the 'Search' function and enter in 'R stamp' and review some of the past threads that will come up.  It has been discussed previously.   There is also an 'ASME' department here on the forum that may have similar questions visible without doing the search.  Either way, I'm sure we can help you out.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2017 23:54
You will need the code books to do the work. If you intend to just do boiler proper repairs, you will need Sec. I , If pressure vessels then Sec VIII Div I and Maybe Div 2.  If boiler external piping, you will need B31.1 and probably also Sec I.

Supporting codes will also be required such as Sec II All parts, Sec V, and Sec IX

You cannot 'refer" to them and must have them in your possession for the audit.

You may also do a joint review which would allow you to not only repair but mfg components.

You must have the codes. Thats your reference to assure that you are compliant with the applicable codes. You are doing code work and would need the codes.
Parent - By leetop2017 Date 08-10-2017 08:49
NBIC books is the best.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-08-2017 18:58
The ASME B&PV Code applies to new construction. Once the components are manufactured, or installed, or placed into service it is the NBIC that has jurisdiction with regards to in-service inspection, repair, alterations, or rerating the vessel.

NBIC defers to the B&PV code sections when a repair or alteration is made. The vessel is required to meet the requirements of the B&PV code section that applies to the type of construction involved, examples: Section I for power boilers or Section VIII for an unfired pressure vessel.

Your QA manual needs to reference both the NBIC with regards the company operates and the applicable ASME Code Section on how the repair is accomplished with regards to reviewing the design, materials of construction, welding, etc.

Good luck - Al
- By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-17-2017 00:16
from NB-415

3.5 The applicant shall have the latest mandatory edition of the NBIC,
all parts, and shall have available the code of construction
edition/addenda including any applicable referenced standards for
materials, welding and nondestructive examination required for
performing the repair or alteration activity.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / R Stamp questions