Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS 1st Timer help!
- - By PeteRocha Date 06-06-2017 15:05
Hello,
I'm getting ready to write my first WPS and PQR and was wondering if anyone out there had some good tips or checklist or good template to make sure I cover all my bases properly. Learning to do it manually helps to learn it better in my opinion; don't have the budget for the 3k plus weldoffice either. I do have a fresh copy of the Code.

Code: D9.1
Process: FCAW
Base Metal: A653 Galvanized CS; 10ga thick
Filler Metal: ER71T-GS; Wire DIA: 0.035"

Any help is great help!
Thank you!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2017 15:19
Just posting so that you knew that your question wasn't being ignored. I don't have a copy of that code to help you with your question.
AWS D1.1 has a couple of things that could be used as a check list of sorts to help you cover all of your bases.
I know you mentioned a PQR, and Annex Q is for prequalified WPSs, but can help jog your memory of things to investigate as you write your PQR and WPS.
Parent - By PeteRocha Date 06-06-2017 19:26
Thanks John, will review.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-06-2017 15:38
To be honest I would consider doing your PQR in accordance with AWS D1.3

Very few steel projects that are 10ga (1/8") in thickness have a zero in the way of structural use.

Your base metal (A653) is listed in D1.3 Table 1.2 in both groups I and II which makes things easy...  The galvanized coating will make PQR's to be required for all joints and positions.

D1.3 actually may have more straightforward PQR test assemblies than D1.9

As an aside...... E71T-GS  is a problematic electrode wire.   Because the "GS" designator means that the properties and all essential variables are to be agreed upon between the customer and the manufacturer...    This means that the polarity, gas or lack of it, WFS, volts... everything can be 100% different from one makers spool and another makers spool of filler....  Meaning: a fresh PQR is required if you change brands of E71T-GS electrode wire.
Parent - - By PeteRocha Date 06-06-2017 19:45
The WPS will be for non-structural welding of framing and supports for architectural walls, ceilings and ducting where required.

The client requires procedures for pretty much everything. This being considered welding,(even though its mostly tack welding using the off-the-shelf store-purchased 110v Lincoln wire Welding Machines), the client has requested any welding and welders be certified.

The client spec does mention the electrode wire trade name and manufacturer to be an essential variable. Thus; as you mentioned, if we do change the wire brand we'd have to re-qualify.

I have considered using D1.3 for this, but since D9.1 requires only visual for testing and no additional NDE it will be the fastest. It also states the qualified metal thicknesses can be welded to structure of unlimited thickness as long as it falls under the same metal type (CS, Alum, Copper etc.)

I'll have the welders test in the 4G position and they should be able to weld in all positions groove or fillet.

The working base metal will be mostly 16ga galvanized angle, studs and channel for non-structural architectural components.

I really appreciate the feedback!
Pete
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-07-2017 10:55
HI Pete,
Check the code again and make sure that the welders will be qualified in any position if they test in the 4G position, I say that because in all of the other welding codes that I am familiar with the 4G only qualifies for Flat (1G, 1F) and Overhead (4G, 4F). To get qualified in all positions you "also" need to test in 3G (Vert), as that qualifies for Flat (1G, 1F), Horz (2G, 2F) and Vert (3G, 3F).
Sounds like you may be welding Cold Formed Metal Framing (CFMF)? aka metal studs
If so, the little 110v welders generally do a good job for that.

Again, sorry for commenting without having the code to reference.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-08-2017 00:01
I was thinking the same thing last night John but don't have my D1.3 with me and didn't have time to look it up this morning while I was at home. 

It does not sound right but has been a while since I qualified anyone to D1.3.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS 1st Timer help!