Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for Stainless Outside Corner Joints
- - By rjeannerette Date 06-08-2017 13:41
Hey everyone, first time post, have been reading the threads for info for sometime now.

I am writing multiple WPS's for sheet stainless (16GA 316 stainless).  I have been using D1.6 to write these, but I am having trouble finding anything on an outside corner joint, which is something that is used a lot in the fab shop I work in. 

Is there anyone who has run into this issue before?  I referenced D1.3 as well to see if maybe that joint is prohibited, but that is listed as prequalified for mild steel. 

I'm just wondering if there is a reason this joint isn't listed.  I know that the outside corner is not the best joint and a lot of people are against it's use, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this, or has had to work around this before.

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-08-2017 18:27
Outside corner joint: that doesn't provide much detail as to what the weld is. Is the weld a fillet or a groove weld. Is the corner joint offset to allow placement if a fillet on the "outside"? Are the members/sheets flush so that the weld is a PJP square groove?

Give us a sketch, a photograph, a well written description of what the detail looks like. I'm pretty new to this, so a little information goes a long way.

Al
Parent - By 52757 (**) Date 06-09-2017 11:36
Al, thanks for making my  morning. ( Pretty new to this).:):):):):)
Parent - - By rjeannerette Date 06-09-2017 15:57
The joint I am referring to would be Image C in this figure.  The corners of the 2 adjoining members would be touching at the corner with the weld face open to the outside

But, as I see you post on a vast majority of what I've read in this forum, I feel you may not be new to this for some reason.:yell:

Anyways, I have gone through D1.6 Clause 3 and 4 a few times, trying to find the joint prequalified or at least find out if I could qualify it, but I can't seem to find even a mention of it.  I believe Clause 2 mentions the proper way to reinforce the corner joint, but that is about the only thing I could find.  D1.3 prequalifies it, but i am trying to stick to D1.6  I am just trying to make sure that I am not putting an unsafe or prohibited joint into a WPS that will either get rejected or fail.  I have a feeling it is left out for a reason, and if it is I'd like to know what it is so that when I am asked about it I will have an educated answer.

I'm in my second week writing procedures, so I actually AM new to this :smile:

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-10-2017 03:05
The weakness in the joint detail (C) is that the fillet weld is not supported, so burn through is a strong possibility. Essentially, what you have is an open root joint, i.e., no backing to prevent burn through. As such, it is not prequalified. AWS, like many codes will allow you to weld a mockup of the proposed detail. You could do so under the auspices of AWS B2.1. Then you could submit the WPS with the supporting PQR consisting of the mock-up to the customer/owner/Engineer depending on the particulars of the project their review and approval.

Best regards – Al
Parent - By rjeannerette Date 06-14-2017 16:14
Appreciate the help Al i will look into B2.1
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for Stainless Outside Corner Joints