Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Post weld solution heat treatment for CF8C material
- - By Rakhul (*) Date 06-28-2017 12:35
Hi,

I need to do a major weld repair on ASTM A351-CF8C casting body (which is completely finished machined).

I need to weld repair more than 20% of the Wall thickness & more than 65 sq. cm area.

The standard tells after weld repair, it needs a POST WELD SOLUTION HEAT TREATMENT.

Which means CF8C requires a solution heat treatment of 1065 Deg C and sudden cooling.

So if i load in furnace for 1065 Deg C, there might be chances of dimension deviation in my finished body.

Is there possibility of localized heat treatment for 1065 Deg C

Pls share your ideas
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 06-28-2017 15:16
You're probably more likely to get distortion from localized heat treatment than from quenching the entire body.  The quench medium is going to have a large effect on the distortion.  If you can go with a forced inert gas quench, you'll get less distortion than dropping into water or oil.  You could try to develop tooling to hold your critical dimensions during quench, but remember that the tooling will move as well as it cools, so a badly planned tool can be worse than none at all.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Post weld solution heat treatment for CF8C material