Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS/PQR Docs. Improvement
- - By Are Aye (*) Date 06-28-2017 10:53
Hi everyone,

I would like to seek any advice or comments/suggestions regarding  this special documents (WPS and PQR - see links below). Im not a certified WI but I prepare this docs and I wanted to improve it or to be perfect as much. As a pipe manufacturer,  we apply ASME IX and API 5L for welding qualifications.

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ar Aye

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/c6a85af0-d889-43e6-afbf-171cdd4d557d
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/98f24d25-03c4-487c-91d4-e82b3f30dc40
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b39ec2a3-d725-44b9-a431-2ec0cd46588b
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2017 19:50 Edited 06-28-2017 19:52
There are several items you can clean up without a lot of effort moving forward, but I am sorry to say I would reject the PQRs I saw for two reasons.
1) you didn't record the actual temperature of the base metal when you initiated the weld. NA or a range is not an acceptable entry. While it might be 0 degrees on the day you welded the test assembly in Warsaw, it could be 85 degrees in Doha. While you may not have needed to heat the material in Doha because the base metal was warm enough, you would not want to weld on base metal that is 0 degrees in Warsaw. The recorded preheat is the actual temperature of the base metal when you initiate the arc. Likewise, interpass temperature is the temperature adjacent to the location where the arc is reinitiated with each successive weld pass. NA is not an acceptable entry, thus the PQRs and the WPSs would be rejected.

PWHT; either you do it or you don't. If you didn't perform a PWHT after welding the entry should say, None, as welded. If you did PWHT, the entry is Yes, PWHT required, and list the parameters of time and temperature. 

I'm sure others will add to my comments. I'm short on time this afternoon.

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 06-28-2017 20:50
Those GMAW parameters seem all out of whack
70% CO2
19 volts but 900A
.125" electrode

huge travel speeds

All seem odd
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2017 23:30 Edited 06-28-2017 23:35
I like to see the bend diameter listed especially when the WPS/PQR are intended to meet multiple welding standards. I very twitchy when the documentation mixes API and ASME. They use different bend diameters, so which was used? I like to list the dimensions so the documentation can be audited and checked against the appropriate welding standards.

I also noticed the GMAW is listed as semi-automatic. I am confused. If this is a pipe mill, I assume it is the longitudinal seam that is being welded. Was the root bead deposited with a hand held gun or was it a mechanized process?

All in all, not bad. I've reviewed some that were a lot worse. At least these could be followed fairly easily. I like to list the beads in a column format to differentiate between the welding processes and the parameters. The tables included that record the parameters for each bead clarifies what was done.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Are Aye (*) Date 06-29-2017 06:51
For Bend test, transverse root/face normally we apply API 5L and transverse side bend as per ASME.
We reflect dimensions in a separate report so in-case customer/TPI wants we can provide but I will consider your points too.

During Auto-Tack weld (Automatic GMAW) process, some portions that are not completely welded including the defective GMAW welds are treated by Semi-Automatic GMAW (hand held gun) before sending to next process which is internal and external SAW.

Thanks and sorry for the confusing details, actually those sample docs I attached were a lot of clearer  than the old once. I updated most of the details since I got the task.

Kind regards,
Are Aye
Parent - By Are Aye (*) Date 06-29-2017 08:06
I think its all about the design and suitability of the welding machine for pipe manufacturing process.

-Are Aye
Parent - - By Are Aye (*) Date 06-29-2017 06:15
Thanks Sir Al!

I will take note on that.

For PWHT, we didn't perform it here and no experience at all.

Are Aye
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-29-2017 15:23
Happy to help.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-02-2017 01:25
Filler metal Classification should be for GMAW filler and not SAW.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS/PQR Docs. Improvement