Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Heat in-put and Grind welding joint after RT.
- - By Duc Date 07-27-2017 05:46
Dear AI.
what's a paragraph in AWS/ASME clarified can't grind and heat in-put to weld after RT completed.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2017 14:16
I am not sure what the question is or what information you are looking for. Details, details. We need details or what, why, and how so we can provide pertinent information.

Al
Parent - - By Duc Date 07-28-2017 03:28
- Question.
- Customer is quality issued about after RT examination but worker is adjust product by heating and grind to the weld.
i want to explain to him, it is no problem but don't specify code.
sorry because my english ...
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 07-28-2017 08:35
Maybe your question is on whether you can do cosmetic grinding on weld that passed the RT. But why you have to do that? Surely, the customer will flag you down by doing it without a valid reason.
Weld should be visually accepted prior to RT. You have to tell why you need to do the heating and grinding on weld after the RT.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 07-28-2017 12:44
Joey is on the right track.

What specifically was done after the RT?
Was spatter removed by a little grinding?
Was some undercut faired into the adjacent base metal to remove the sharp notch?
Was a weld ground flush?
Did the welder heat a area to red heat and strike the area heated with a sledge hammer to straighten a serious dent in the side wall?
Was the area heated to a relatively low temperature while grinding?
Was the area heated to a high temperature because there was extensive grinding? What the temperature hot enough to attain a temper colour, i.e., tan, dark tan, purle, blue, etc.
What was the base metal.
Was the vessel subjected to post weld heat treatment after welding?

There are many questions that need to be asked and answered before a competent opinion cn be offered.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Heat in-put and Grind welding joint after RT.