Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What would you call this symbol??
- - By dentont308 Date 08-29-2017 13:31
Came across a symbol for a groove weld with a V on one side, and a flare on the other... What would you call that?
Attachment: weldsymbol.PNG - Here is a picture... (1k)
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 08-29-2017 14:08
From your description, I'd call it a groove with a V on one side and a flare on the other.  If you can post a picture, however, your odds of a more enlightening answer go way up.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-29-2017 16:07
I would call it wrong.

Welding symbols provide sufficient information for maybe 90% of the situations typically encountered. A sketch showing the details as a cross section with the welding requirements and dimensions shown, the remaining 10% should be covered.

Parent - - By dentont308 Date 08-29-2017 17:30
Yeah there is a possibility the symbol is wrong. The actual part is a rod with a bevel at the end being welded to a rod eye, so the welding symbol given is a pretty good representation of the joint, I would think. Is there a different welding symbol that should be used in this case? Or a name for this particular joint?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-29-2017 17:39
There are standard welding symbols that have been adopted by the AWS committee. However, there is a tendency by some people to develop their own symbols when there isn't a standard symbol covering their specific situation. I call them "Kalvin Kline" symbols and I have seen many of them over the years. While they are imaginative, it doesn't mean they are correct.

My question to you is, "Did you look at the AWS A2.4 standard to see if that particular symbol is included?" I feel rather safe in saying you will not find it, thus it is thrown into the bin with all the other "Kalvin Kline" welding symbols. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dentont308 Date 08-29-2017 18:12
Makes sense. Thank you!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-29-2017 19:21
It's a modified-flare bevel groove :razz:

If it needs to be welded, call it something and just make sure the welder understands what is expected for the finished weld. Add a drawing, add lots of notes, whatever it takes to communicate the intent.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2017 01:29
That is totally different than I had pictured from your description. 

I am curious, to what are you working?  EN or ISO by chance??? 

It sure isn't an AWS Standard Welding Symbol.  A joint like that and resultant weld truly needs a detail to show all parties what is expected. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What would you call this symbol??

Powered by mwForum 2.29.2 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill