Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.5 Certification
- - By MaxLongman Date 09-12-2017 01:43
A friend of mine was telling me to get my D1.5 certification. I know it is a bridge certification but I don't know much about it. Can someone give me more information on it please? Thanks in advance.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2017 12:05
It depends on what type of work you want to do. There is little difference between D1.1 and D1.5 other than D1.5 only allows hand tools for interpass cleaning.

Neither D1.1 or D1.5 is going to be of any use if you are applying for a position with a mechanical contractor that will be welding pipe.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2017 12:05
Yes, AWS D1.5 is the bridge welding code. The plate test coupon will be similar to a AWS D1.1 plate test coupon, the only difference will be that the welder/test taker cannot use any power tools for cleaning, only hand tools.

You didn't say, so I am going to assume that you are talking about a welder performance qualification/certification.

edit: whoops, I was too slow replying, that ole Al was too quick on the keyboard :cool:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2017 17:03
Nothing better than confirmation from a reputable source John.

A;
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2017 21:24
:cool:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-12-2017 23:57
Generally speaking, the last person you want to take advice from is a friend who 99% chance has as little understanding of the process as yourself. 

People are always telling others to get this cert or that cert and even tell them how it works and they don't have a clue.  Only word of mouth or a past experience that was actually wrong, etc. 

First question that comes to mind for me is, why do you want a cert of any kind?  ...Have you worked on bridges?  Is there a job opportunity in the immediate vicinity and/or future? 

Second, how much experience to you have and in what sector?  Structural, pipe, sheetmetal, etc? 

What process do you intend to test with?  Do you know what will be used on the job you MAY be interested in? 

If you are looking to go to work for a company, they will normally have to qualify/certify you themselves even if you have a cert from somewhere else.  If you have previously qualified elsewhere then you really don't need to go GET a Bridge Cert, go get a job and they will test you and your previous certs should be all the help you need to get your foot in the door. 

Past that, Al and John covered the essential differences in the testing between Bridge and Structural.  Then again, you didn't say you knew anything about structural or what you may be comparing the D1.5 test to.  So, if you are comparing it to sheetmetal or aerospace, or brazing, or plastic welding.....forget everything they said because it doesn't matter because there will be many other more applicable differences. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-13-2017 18:38
first question
welding cert or CWI cert?
tell and we can help
sincerely,
Kent
btw: will help to know your state or country
- By MaxLongman Date 09-18-2017 17:45
Thank you to everyone who replied. You answered my question and helped me out a lot.
- - By qa1 Date 07-17-2019 23:51
We are looking for a kind of certification that allows the company to maintain the rights of  it until the worker provides the services. Once the service is finished, this certification is canceled.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-18-2019 11:46
If your company pays for the testing they may keep the performance qualification test records and do with them as they wish.  (unless the CWB is involved, then the welder owns the cert. and is entitled to a card,  regardless of who pays)

So long as the "Company" holds/owns the performance qualification test report, they can elect to recognize it or not over whatever time period their quality manual and governing code determines.

Some folks have a moral objection to welders taking their certification and using it to make more money elsewhere.

Some folks have a moral objection to companies withholding certs/reports from welders so that they can use them to apply for other jobs when a project is finished.

In most cases, even if a welder were to take a cert or test report with them after leaving a project, they would be required to test again for the next project,  the cert/report is usually only useful to prove they are a good candidate to test on similar work someplace else.

If the "company" is not paying for the welder to test, there is no way they can demand the certification is under their control.

At least that's my opinion.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.5 Certification